New and need info. Which one to get 7.3L or 6.0L???

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
There are always exceptions, as I said, but statistically, which motor have you heard the worst about? I believe there is even a metric ***** ton of info under the 6.0 issues on this site about head stud, head wall weakness/thinness causing issues. Check for yourself, but thats my personal experience with my buddies and others trucks, and from reading up on here.

Cant help but notice that you got a 7.3 Dickmon:sly:innocent

6.0 was still on the drawing board when I bought mine... :tounge

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
What are some of the Achilles heels of the 7.3?

Again, thanks for the input so far. It definitely helps.

well, the HPOP likes to leak,
fuel bowl heaters like to short out
what a goofy-ass way to run a serp belt (get an upper hose for an ambulance)
and the famous CPS

on the plus side, the 7.3 responds very well to "tuning"

Last edited:

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the HPOP likes to leak,
fuel bowl heaters like to short out
what a goofy-ass way to run a serp belt (get an upper hose for an ambulance)
and the famous CPS

on the plus side, the 7.3 responds very well to "tuning"

Forgive my lack of knowledge with the diesels, but what is the HPOP and CPS?

JRJ04

Reaction score
HPOP is high pressure oil pump. CPS is camshaft position sensor.

The CPS has been recalled becasue people were having weir issues with the truck just all of a sudden dieing etc. Very easy fix, takes about 5 min to do.

On the 6.0 vs. 7.3...

When you look at both motors, on the whole, the 7.3 has proved to be a much more reliable strong running motor. There are plenty there with several hundred thousand miles on them running strong. The 7.3 is much easier to work on than the 6.0. Anything major on the 6.0 and the cab has to come off to repair it. There is more emissions crap on the 6.0's that break as well (egr cooler for example)

When you step back and look at all the motors ford has put in their trucks, many will agree that the 7.3 was by far the best and most successful.

My vote is that you fine a 2003 7.3 and youll never look back!

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
i would sound biased but i gotta say I'm loving my truck, here in the city i get 10 mpg but i don't have programmer yet, on the hwy i get 15-16 with the lift but my speedo isn't changed for the larger tires? either way, its a sweet truck 6.0 are good i guess, never owned one, don't plan on replacing mine either

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i have owned both of them and love both of them my 7.3 has 187k and not much fixed on it and ihave a 128k on my 6.0 with more fixed but well worth it as far as power goes i think the 6.0 has a little more hard to tell since they never stayed stock long enough to tell :sly i think that if the govmnt wasnt trying to put all this emmisions bs on there the 6.0 would be fine minus the headstuds but thats another story...i went 100k before i had any issues besides cleaning the egr and bad alternator with my 6.0 and its been chipped since about 8k yeah it cost me a lil money but i went ahead and put the headstuds and egr delete kit on but i think it will be worth it in the long run i would go 05 and up on the 6.0 and just my personal preference but i like the 2000 7.3's it was the last year they put forged rods in them but if you're not gonna do anything to it that doesnt matter ;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58