new batteries?

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
When my truck sits for more than one day in very cold weather she doesnt want to start all the time. Crank time is sluggish even when I plug her in.When I put the charger on 150 amps she cranks fast and starts. Question,how to know the batteries are bad and should I change both? If yes, any suggestions on type and make. I found Walley World the cheapests at $68.00 with 850 CCA.If this sounds stupid or miss spelled I just got of 12 hour night shifts 4 in row, soon to be five in a row. Very cold here at night, single digits and i dont want to take the chance and come out and have my truck not start. If we get any more snow#$$%:dizzy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your batteries are shot and you need to replace BOTH of them at the same time. They won't hold a full charge in the cold.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Would not hurt to get them load tested to make sure the battery's are bad. You may have a drain that is running them down.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
The cold weather will definately take some juice out of them, but it will make that slow draw, occur faster. I would test them with a load tester or cold cranking amps tester and determine the condition. Wouldn't hurt to check the charging system output also.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
When my truck sits for more than one day in very cold weather she doesnt want to start all the time. Crank time is sluggish even when I plug her in.When I put the charger on 150 amps she cranks fast and starts. Question,how to know the batteries are bad and should I change both? If yes, any suggestions on type and make. I found Walley World the cheapests at $68.00 with 850 CCA.If this sounds stupid or miss spelled I just got of 12 hour night shifts 4 in row, soon to be five in a row. Very cold here at night, single digits and i dont want to take the chance and come out and have my truck not start. If we get any more snow#$$%:dizzy

You're a plow driver I assume. Get the most amps you can with the longest free replacement coverage available. If you only shop by price and rely on your truck to work, you may be sorry down the road.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
ok. this begs a question. some of you may know i had similar issue this past weekend. after i got is started (using a jump as a boost) and the next day after driving errands for about 2 hours i went to get them tested (in the vehicle) my buddy said they tested out fine.
here is the question: should i have brought them IN COLD? the outside temp overnite was to be about -18 and when i shipped the kiddies off to school it was only -13. sure hope she pops off today

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. this begs a question. some of you may know i had similar issue this past weekend. after i got is started (using a jump as a boost) and the next day after driving errands for about 2 hours i went to get them tested (in the vehicle) my buddy said they tested out fine.
here is the question: should i have brought them IN COLD? the outside temp overnite was to be about -18 and when i shipped the kiddies off to school it was only -13. sure hope she pops off today

Not knowing what method yer buddy used to test your Batts.. The method I use, with my.. Battery Condition tester thingy (Not a Load test) is:

(Each Battery Isolated)

Cold, engine off, state of charge: -12v= Bad Batt.

12.0v= 25%.

12.2v= 50%.

12.4v= 75%.

12.6v= 100%.

Warm, after driving, state of charge (engine off): Turn headlights on for 10 seconds (to remove surface charge): same readings apply.

Charging System check, Engine warm and running, rev to 2.5K:

minus 13.1v= System Not charging.

13.3v to 14.4v= System Is charging.

15v or more= System Over-charging.

IMO, nothing beats a Load Test, but if you have a Volt meter (?) maybe you can use these values to get a BASIC idea of where your Batts are :dunno

Needles to say but, If one Batt has a conciderably Lower charge state than the other.. Replace both.

Hope this Helps.

Joe

Last edited:

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i guess i just open mouth inserted foot. yes, i don't know what type of test he did, just that he rolled the cart thingy outside had me shut it off and clamped what looked like a set of jumper cables to them and said each is good. i will have to inquire a little more. my bad..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i just open mouth inserted foot. yes, i don't know what type of test he did, just that he rolled the cart thingy outside had me shut it off and clamped what looked like a set of jumper cables to them and said each is good. i will have to inquire a little more. my bad..

No.. my bad;) :) I shoulda posted metzer.hr too !!

If it was a cart thingy, it was proly a Load Test.

How'bout yer battery connections.. Clean ?

I aint pick'n atcha but did he test them independently ? or together. One could be weak but together they could show strong. put a glow plug/start load on'm and.. No Starty.

:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14