Announcement New CJ-4 Oils Now Available From Amsoil

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new DME 15W-40 CJ-4 and newly reformulated DEO 5W-40 oils for 2007 + LSD motors with DPF are now available from Amsoil. The TBN has been raised from 8.45 to 10.4 in the DEO 5W-40. For both oils the guarateed extended drain interval is 3x the OEM recommendation up to 50k miles or 600 hours and further with oil analysis from Oil Analyzers Lab.

What do I mean by 3x the OEM drain interval? If your trucks manual says 7500 mile OCI you will now be able to go 22.5k miles on the new oils. The 3x OEM is guaranteed with any oil filter so long as the oil filter is changed at the OEM recommended intervals. For instance if your OEM recommended OCI is 7500 and you don't use an Amsoil EAO filter guaranteed for 25k miles then you need to change your brand filter at 7500 miles to retain the warranty from Amsoil for 22.5k miles. If you are able to use an Amsoil EAO 25k mile filter you can go the whole 22.5k miles on that one filter and retain the warranty for 3x the OEM OCI or in this scenario 22.5k miles.

I didn't want to bore you all by copying and pasting the information from the Amsoil site so I will put links to each oil below for you to read about each oil. If you have questions feel free to ask them. If I don't know the answer I will call and get the answer for you.

Refomulated: DEO 5W-40 CJ-4 Rated Oil
New: DME 15W-40 CJ-4 Rated Oil

Thank you for taking the time to look in.

Dane

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Since when did Amsoil get the API ratings for their oil? This is the first time I have seen Amsoil rated by the API. I am not following Amsoil closely.

Dave

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since when did Amsoil get the API ratings for their oil? This is the first time I have seen Amsoil rated by the API. I am not following Amsoil closely.

Dave

I did not say it was API Certified, I said its Rated meaning it meets and or exceeds the API standards for CJ-4 Oils.

Dane

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the same old argument... :stir

Dave

Yes I guess if thats the way you look at it. Same oil that exceeds the low API standards because they (Amsoil) have and hold themselves to a higher standard and back it with a warranty which gives you not only a warranty from your OEM if its still in effect but a warranty from the Oil Manufacturer regardless if you have an OEM warranty in effect as well.
Double coverage is always good. Once an oil is in your engine your will never know if there was a logo or seal or certification on that oil. It won't act differently or miss knowing that the oil didn't have an API certified seal on the oil bottle. It will run cleaner, cooler, be more stable with temprature changes and offer less foaming and be more effiecient with any brand synthetic oil than it will with conventional oil. You will get better fuel efficiency and longer engine life with a synthetic oil.

Even GM won't be able to tell what oil is in your engine once you pour it from the bottle. As long as that oil meets or exceeds GM specifications for an oil for that application its just oil in your engine. So the question becomes from there how long will that oil hold the specification set by GM? Synthetics will hold it longer than conventional oil which saves you money on oil changes with out affecting your warranty.

Whether you like Amsoil or not, any brand synthetic will be a better choice than a conventional oil in most cases. Thats how I look at it. :sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not the oil that I have a problem with It is the company that makes and sells oil. I don't like to be deceived by THOSE people. Saying our is just as good as CJ 4 is NOT the same thing as it is CJ 4. End of rant.

Dave

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not the oil that I have a problem with It is the company that makes and sells oil. I don't like to be deceived by THOSE people. Saying our is just as good as CJ 4 is NOT the same thing as it is CJ 4. End of rant.

Dave

I know that Amsoil is not the end all of oils and isn't for everybody and I am comfortable with that. I am not dumb enough to think that it needs to be in every car & truck because there are certain situations that don't fit the demographic for using synthetic period.

Not trying to start a debate or anything but I am curious if you could explain exactly what you mean. What deceiving is being told to you? Why is any brand CJ-4 oil that meets or exceeds the standards that API has put forth not the same as CJ-4 oil? If we can talk about this civially I think that other readers could benefit from this discussion. I will never attack you I just would like to learn more about your view and how you come to the conclusion you believe in. If you don't want to discuss it thats fine too I understand.

Thank You,

Dane

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Amsoil won't certify their oil with the API, BUT they keep saying is is AS GOOD AS.... That does not cut it in my books. You asked.

Dave :rant

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil won't certify their oil with the API, BUT they keep saying is is AS GOOD AS.... That does not cut it in my books. You asked.

Dave :rant

Yes I asked. Amsoil will not certify for a few reasons. The group IV synthetic oil certification restrictions are much tighter than a group III base stock synthetic. First and formost when you certify a group IV base stock synthetic oil you may not ever change suppliers of that base stock or you will lose your certification. In M1's case if you have a refinery issue such as they did where the refinery was hurricane damaged and it can not produce the base stock your out of business. That doesn't make good business sense to put your all your eggs in one basket.

Next Amsoil exceeds the standards that are required for API certification. To clarify that point Amsoil is the only synthetic oil to guarantee their oils and extended oil change intervals. They are able to do that by constantly tweaking the formula through testing. To meet the standards of API certification you may not change the oil formula in anyway. That means that some of your oils with API certification have 20 year old technology in their oils to remain API certified. Amsoil refuses to do that they test and tweak to meet the needs of the newer technology in todays engines and oils. I wouldn't want 20 year old technology in my 50k dollar truck. The standards are so low for an API certificate that Amsoil also refuses to lower the quality of their oils to meet API standards.

I am ok with your reason in your book to not buy Amsoil. I just wanted to clarify some of your points for others out there that are wondering the same thing. I am not trying to talk you into using Amsoil at all. Information is power and I like to have the information out there so people can decide what is best for them.

Dane

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Question for Dane

Dane,
I have been using Amsoil products in everything I own that has an engine in it for some time now except for my 2000 F350. I am an Amsoil dealer as well. I have read the information from Amsoil about the new diesel products but I have been cautious to use anything but Motorcraft 15-40 in my 7.3 because the 7.3 was more particular about oil foaming in the high pressure oil system. I was an instructor for Ford from 2000-2008 and I remember that Ford wanted us to stress to the techs that using an incorrect oil would lead to performance problems.
There are two parts to my question. First, I like the looks of the 5W40 because it gets cold up here in Central NY but how well will it perform in the high pressure oil system? Second, I don't drive the truck very much (around 5000 miles per year) so I can't really benefit from extended drain intervals because you are still supposed to change the oil once per year. Maybe I already answered my own question about synthetic oil for my application. If I don't drive it enough, it's not worth the extra cost. Am I correct in this assumption or can you give me a reason to switch? Gil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58