Announcement New CJ-4 Oils Now Available From Amsoil

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane,
I have been using Amsoil products in everything I own that has an engine in it for some time now except for my 2000 F350. I am an Amsoil dealer as well. I have read the information from Amsoil about the new diesel products but I have been cautious to use anything but Motorcraft 15-40 in my 7.3 because the 7.3 was more particular about oil foaming in the high pressure oil system. I was an instructor for Ford from 2000-2008 and I remember that Ford wanted us to stress to the techs that using an incorrect oil would lead to performance problems.
There are two parts to my question. First, I like the looks of the 5W40 because it gets cold up here in Central NY but how well will it perform in the high pressure oil system? Second, I don't drive the truck very much (around 5000 miles per year) so I can't really benefit from extended drain intervals because you are still supposed to change the oil once per year. Maybe I already answered my own question about synthetic oil for my application. If I don't drive it enough, it's not worth the extra cost. Am I correct in this assumption or can you give me a reason to switch? Gil

Gil,

Amsoil is one of the the best oils on the market to combat foaming. As you know when foaming occurs the film is lost and wear happens when the film is lost and you go metal to metal. One thing you will find in most all testing of Amsoil against other products is in the 4 ball wear test Amsoil is always #1 in a comparison. That is due to anti foaming agents that allow Amsoils products to stay stabile and constant in the film strength department allowing maximum lubrication and film strength under the worst of conditions.

You could benefit from extended drain intervals beyond one year for your low miles. Amsoil states in writing they will continue the warranty beyond 1 year if you do used oil analysis (UOA) from Oil Analyzers Inc. (OAI). If OAI says the oil is good to go longer Amsoil will continue to warranty the oil. You have to change your oil filters at the OEM recommended oil change intervals (OCI) if you don't use the Amsoil EAO filter. If you do use the Amsoil EAO filter its guaranteed for 25k miles or 1 year so you could change a filter do UOA at the 1 year mark and continue using the same oil for as long as the labs says its good as far as TBN and viscosity. The 6.0L is much harder on the oils than the 7.3L and the products put out by Amsoil withstand that harshness as shown in UOA results posted by many. I would always caution to change oil filters more often in a 6.0L when extending OCI beyond 5k and using UOA as a guide. You will get longer miles from an EAO filter but its also so cheap its silly not to change it at 5k if someone plans on going 10k on a 6.0L.

Dane

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hummmmm..........I like visual proof.

My dad, brother and I became dealers in the late 70's early 80's. Among other things I liked the cylinder wall comparisons we were shown in the training sessions.

On a personal note our little air cooled VW Bug broke a valve spring at almost 200k. We had used Amsoil in this vehicle for about 170k and upon tear down you could still see light hone marks........all the way up the cylinder bore.

I think a visual reference like this on a Power Stroke would be icing on the cake for a sales presentation.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg