new clutch just came in the mail!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
I just recieved my clutch from Valair clutch the other day. i haven't gotten it installed yet, but i have to say this if any of y'all are in need of a clutch put in a call to valair. Dan is an extremely nice guy and helped me a ton when i was ordering my clutch and also answered all my stupid little questions.

Now, i bought the Kevlar/Ceramic clutch. Holds 500hp/1000tq. i can't remember if i posted a thread about my slave cylinder problems here, but i have blown out 12 slave cylinders in the past year and a half now so i got annoyed and ordered my clutch and went down to advanced auto parts and got a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. Then went down to Ford and bought the clutch fork and ordered the bearing retainer and seal.

I can't think of what else may be wrong with this thing to blow slave cylinders like this, but i'm replacing everything i can think of. Anything else i should give some thought to replacing this time guys???? i did the clutch a year and a half ago, but didn't replace the clutch fork or bearing retainer like an idiot. LoL

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I will be watching close for your post when you get it installed. I have started a couple of threads asking about the ValAir clutches but not too many guys even know about them. ValAir has been building clutches for heavy duty trucks for many years but they are fairly new to the pickem-up truck clutch world. I have plans of trying one out but it is nice of you to go first :sweet

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
Crumm, dont be nervous about Valair man. All the Death Row Diesel guys use Valair. I'm very confident about this clutch and i haven't even put it in yet. Dan is a great guy. He even came down to our dyno day in central texas earlier this year and i met him in person. Valair makes awesome clutches at awesome prices too. i have driven a few OBS fords with them and they work great even in my buddy Cody's old truck smashin' it with nitrous and everything. LoL

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
ok. i took the tranny out last night and i still can't figure out what is causing it to blow slave cylinders.. i'm taking the clutch and everything out today and replacing the clutch fork, hydrolics, and all the clutch stuff.

Does anyone know how to replace the bearing retainer on these things?

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
alright guys i got the new clutch put in. i actually put it in last friday night. We went to put my new downpipe in while the tranny was out and guess wut... didn't work cuz the engine was tilted weird. so we put the clutch and tranny in. we had a lot of trouble with putting the tranny back in cuz the jack i was using wouldn't work right so once we swapped jacks everything went in a lot better. then we went to putting in the new clutch hydrolics. got all that in by 6:00 AM saturday morning. then since i ordered an mbrp dp i didn't notice it didn't come with the bell flange to bolt to the cat pipe so i had to weld the bell flange from my stock dp to the mbrp dp and cut a little off the mbrp pipe. i was out of gas for my MIG welder so i had to go to my boss's house to use his MIG. finally got the truck started and driving at 8:30 AM saturday morning.

Now i had already taken the tranny out of the truck thursday night and took the flywheel to be resurfaced friday evening. We got started putting everything back together at around 10:30 Friday night.

Oh yeah and for Crumm and anyone else interested in how well this clutch works.... So far i'm still in my 500 mile break in period, but the clutch is a lot better than it used to be. It's not as "grabby" as i thought it would be, but it barely slips at all when you are letting of the petal. Haven't backed a trailer with it yet so we will see how well that goes, but it shouldn't be bad b/c the kevlar side allows it to slip a little bit for smooth engaging.

I will let y'all know how well it does when backing trailers and stuff but i'm sure it will have no problem with putting the power to the ground. LoL

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Oh yeah and for Crumm and anyone else interested in how well this clutch works.... So far i'm still in my 500 mile break in period, but the clutch is a lot better than it used to be. It's not as "grabby" as i thought it would be, but it barely slips at all when you are letting of the petal. Haven't backed a trailer with it yet so we will see how well that goes, but it shouldn't be bad b/c the kevlar side allows it to slip a little bit for smooth engaging.

I will let y'all know how well it does when backing trailers and stuff but i'm sure it will have no problem with putting the power to the ground. LoL

Be sure to keep the updates coming :sweet

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
ok here is another update. done with clutch break in period and the clutch is still rattling like a dual disk does, but i can't make this thing slip by any means at all and i am not having anymore clutch problems like i had before. pulling trailers is great. backing trailers is fairly smooth as well. i haven't pulled very heavy with it yet, but backing a 16ft flatbed was pretty smooth with it.

Here is a problem though. i'm sure it's not at fault of the clutch, but my trans is getting hard to put into gear from a stop every now and then and it is popping out of reverse again like it was doing before the clutch install. i fear it might be partially from driving it about a mile with the trans only half full of fluid b/c the rear oil seal on the trans fell off the yoke of the transmission. also i'm not sure, but do y'all think that it could be from using royal purple sycromax? it says for use in manual transmissions that require atf, etc but i'm not sure if i'm supposed to be using this stuff in this transmission.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the clutch is working great for you.

As far as the hard to get into gear there are a couple things that would cause that.
- The bushings surrounding the "ball" of the shifter assembly
- The plastic bushings in the transmission on the shift rails
- synchro is toast.

Given that you're having a problem with it popping out of gear the plastic bushings are bad one or both sets of the sets listed above.

cummins359

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my book says use synthetic atf, i havent switched to better stuff yet but i have the same problem with it popping outta gear but mine is 2nd gear all others fine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58