new clutch just came in the mail!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
so how hard would it be to replace those plastic bushings in there? i can't imagine the sycros being bad b/c one minute it worked great then the next minute it was all messed up. it's only from a stop it seems to be harder to put in gear sometimes.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I've replaced them on a ZF so I can't speak to the complexity there but on the M5OD they are not bad

the ball bushings at on the shifter are a breeze and you should be able to do these with the transmission in the truck.

The other bushings require the removal of the top cover plate which I don't believe there is room to do with the transmission in the truck.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
damn. Maybe I will just take it to have the trans rebuilt since it's never been rebuilt and has 265000 miles on it

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
ok here is another update. done with clutch break in period and the clutch is still rattling like a dual disk does, but i can't make this thing slip by any means at all and i am not having anymore clutch problems like i had before.

Must be something else rattling??

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
finally had a little time to call dan and talk to him about the rattle and this is what he told me.

the rattle simply comes from engine spikes going through the crank to the driveline. the stock clutches have some sort of plastic silencer ring in the hub of the clutch or something that prevents it from rattling. Dan's clutches have a full metal hub for increased holding power which allows the engine spikes to travel through the driveline into the transmission and rattles the neutral gears when you don't have the clutch pushed in and truck is at idle also known as gear rollover. if the engine doesn't idle smooth then the rattle will be worse(my truck doesn't idle as smooth as it should). He told me to add an extra quart of transmission fluid thru the top of the transmission and that should calm the rattle down some. He also said after a few thousand miles the hub of the clutch should get worn in better and the rattle will stop, but he has seen some that never quit rattling.

So i'm off to get 2 more quarts of royal purple synthetic max atf since i already have 2 quarts of it and i'm going to drain the fluid and refill with the royal purple. right now i have about 1.5 quarts of amsoil synthetic atf in it and 2 quarts of royal purple sychromax in it. i don't like mixing fluids like that so i'm draining it for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14