New engine oil change intervals?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the oils produced now-a-days are better than they were awhile ago and they say that the oils will last longer which means longer intervals between oil changes? Anyone hear about this? Just wondering if anyone is changin their oil well after 5k?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be keeping mine on 5000 miles, Ford has gone up to 7500 on some of there trucks.
Doug

ChristineK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well Mobile 1 fully synthetic is fully guaranteed for 15 thousand miles for gas powered, I cant answer for diesel as I am all new to it. I cant imagine the same technology could be applied with slightly less life due to extreme duty.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my thinking...Price of oil change VS. price of engine. Pretty cheap insurance.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea. A friend of ours has a fleet of diesel fords and he uses a para-synthetic and changes the oil at 25k and changes the filter at every 5k. Just sounds weird to change any engine oil at 3k or 5k.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
say that the oils will last longer which means longer intervals between oil changes?

the oils may be better but fuel dilution and other issues are not cured by better oil
thats why I change mine at or before 5k and I run synthetic

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct on fuel dilution, The oils are much better now then they were. But if your injectors are leaking fuel in, which they do, or you have a dpf truck, then fuel in the oil is an issue. In a perfect scenario the oil is good for a lot longer, like 7500 or so.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget the abuse the hpop and injectors put the oil through, it was my understanding that the high pressure required to fire the injectors is the hardest thing on the oil. Seems that this style of engine just isn't one to extend oil change intervals on. Maybe the old 6.9-7.3l non-turbo, but not the powerstroke. JMO

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the 6.4 motors have a high pressure fuel pump and dont use oil pressure? common rail? I think

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
You may be right Melmount 'bout the 6.4, i personally don't know. I was only speaking of the 7.3 that stroked68 drives. Guess it could be different for those folks who still have a payment on their truck! But as far as I'm concerned, the 7.3, n the 6.0-no are a no brainer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58