Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2.8 wasn't worth the cost of the oil to change it with

lol

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've changed my oil at the beginning of summer and winter and I drive about 20K a year. Most of my mileage is 20 miles up the highway and back so 10K seems about right to me. Now if I started pulling heavy loads regularly or doing more city driving I would step up to 5000 or 7500. I've lost 1 injector in 80,000 miles so knock on wood there.

On a side note, I do know a 98 GM 2.8L will go 72,000 before locking up on the factory oil. And since it would have been lucky to make it to twice that with regular oil changes i'm guessing it's not as critical at 3k or 5k as some make it out to be.

I've done an engine on a 2007 township truck (17000 6.8 V10) never changed there oil and you would not believe how bad that engine was gummed up!....They payed for that one!!!!

dpantazis

Reaction score
its all relative..

i run 5000 on what i consider mid-range oils, rotella dino in the summer and the t5 ot t6 in the winters. iirc, the biggest issue with the heui injectors was the anti foam additives breaking down at longer oil change intervals.

my diesel vw with cam driven unit injectors has a 10,000 oil change interval. 5 quarts @$6/qt. cartridge filter like on a 6.0 motor. special ols for the high forces on that 3rd lobe of the cam. egr system too so the oil gets all sooty really quick.

dmd

Reaction score
Coming from England where we change our oil once a year or 12000 miles & then learning that over here its recommended every 3000 miles blew me away. way over the top, I change mine once a year, about 12000 miles with fully synthetic. I also run the truck on 2/3 wvo & 1 part diesel for over 2 years with no problems.

Oil intervals are just a guess, get the oil tested and that is the real truth.

Synthetic doesnt remove the contaminants, and that is the real problem. EU
cars have very small engines, not the dirty diesels like the US has. Get
that oil you drain out tested and you will probably change your mind when
you hear you are damaging that expensive engine and injectors.

3K is too often, but 12k is way too long without a bypass filter.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. A friend of ours has a fleet of diesel fords and he uses a para-synthetic and changes the oil at 25k and changes the filter at every 5k. Just sounds weird to change any engine oil at 3k or 5k.

How about reading something even weirder? - try reading your owners' manual maintenance section!!!

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58