New guy DIY trucks

ddan2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, well my first post im here to learn. I have

1999 F350 Crew 4X4 350,500m engine still runs fine smokes a little more now days, but transmision is toast. been limping along for the last year and half. it needs new Torque Converter, valve bodie, solinoids and guessing some sprag let loose inside that finally took it out. Funny it will still pull and shift fine but gets hot quik! So its a toss up between a Jasper or a John Wood tranny

2004 Excursion ( wifes truck ) 61,000m we have only had truck for 3 months so... it starts rough in the mornings, smooths out runs fine. Figure the truck had a tuner or something before we bought, thier are to many other extras on it, AIR air filter, custom grills, pinstriping, helper bags on rear. SO i will be looking at an egr delete DIY, aftert reading about all the problems thier is with this part.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ddan2,

The rough start in the mornings, you will want to check with Ford and see if it has the latest update for the FICM/PCM. There is an update that will preheat the injectors (Inductive Heating Flash). The oil in the injectors is thick and does not flow well. This is what causes the rough idle on cold startup. If it had a tuner you may want to have Ford go over the truck if it is still under warranty 5yr 100K mile engine warrenty. The 6.0L can have issues if it has been turned up (Head Gaskets are a big one). I love the 6.0L in my Ex and it is bone stock.... will give you good service, if you keep up on the maintenance (Oil every 5k, Fuel Filters every 10k). Any questions on either truck please feel free to ask.

Oh, BTW - Welcome!!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you are on your own with the 1999 truck. John Wood builds a great tranny.

By the way,:welcome3 to SuperDutyDiesel, ddan. Enjoy your time here.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg