New head studs

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Well thats kinda another thought, crack the bolts, blow the gasket, tighten back to spec, and drop it off at Ford and have warrantey pay for it. I got 10,000 miles left before its over so I would like not to pay for the trouble

This is FRAUD, plain and simple. Didn't your folks teach you that? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you? :eek:

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gaskets are not the weak link since the head bolts are torque to yeild. As cylinder pressures are increased by using tuners or injecting water/meth the bolts will stretch causing "head gaskets" to fail.

As long as your heads and gaskets are virgin there is no reason that you cannot remove one bolt at a time using the ARP studs. Before you start this task I'd ask that you ask questions of those who have done their own studs. The ARPs require a specific torque sequence and make sure you follow the OEM pattern.

There are a few who have done this cab on the truck by removing the motor mounts and tilting the motor. IIRC the guy who posted this up was 67 and did it in his driveway.

Using o-rings or fire rings on the heads has it's ups and downs since you need to check the heads for flatness and mill them down flat if needed. If there is enough material left to cut the ring into the heads this may prevent future issues. If there is not enough material left you end up needing new heads so it can get expensive. Rely on an experienced machine shop that has done fire rings don't expect just anyone to be up to the task.

bronx94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am agreeing. The other poster was trying to change out the bolts with re-enforced ones and take it back to the dealer and have them replace the head gaskets (under warranty) after stud replacement.

No, I would crack the OEM bolts, let the headgasket fail, then re-torque, and drop it off at the dealership which when they replace the headgaskets I will have them put in ARP studs

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
No, I would crack the OEM bolts, let the headgasket fail, then re-torque, and drop it off at the dealership which when they replace the headgaskets I will have them put in ARP studs

Fordoor is right this is fraud and I doubt very much that anyone that spends anytime on this forum is going to be supportive to this practice of trying to commit fraud. If you want to try to intentionally break your truck do so at your own risk, expense and humility, but there won't be much support here.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Well thats kinda another thought, crack the bolts, blow the gasket, tighten back to spec, and drop it off at Ford and have warrantey pay for it. I got 10,000 miles left before its over so I would like not to pay for the trouble

OK, I had to read this again because I didn't catch this the first time and I must say that this is just wrong.

Practices like what you are wanting to do affects all of us. It causes labor prices to go up, parts costs to go up, etc.

This would be a clear cut case of fraud, plain & simple.

I have no respect for someone that does this type of stuff.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
OK, I had to read this again because I didn't catch this the first time and I must say that this is just wrong.

Practices like what you are wanting to do affects all of us. It causes labor prices to go up, parts costs to go up, etc.

This would be a clear cut case of fraud, plain & simple.

I have no respect for someone that does this type of stuff.

Agreed......:clap:
I am glad you re-read the start of this thread. Fraud it is.

Gearhead2012

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ahh...this is where the karma gods come into play...and perhaps there would be no warranty, just a blown head gasket for fraud boy to fix himself. Or, maybe he tries this plan, but...perhaps he waits and waits for this head gasket to blow...but it decides to go at 100,001 miles. Good luck there dude.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58