New Head Unit

Reaction score
I will be replacing the head unit the the thieves took, next week. I'm looking for opinions on what y'all have had, what you recommend, etc.
Requirments:

Remote Control (I'm lazy:D )
20+Watts a Channel
CD Player with Removable Face

I would like to stay under $300. I have had good look with Kenwood, but that was years ago. I'm not up on what's new.
Also, an IPOD connection would be nice, too.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.crutchfield.com

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and even thought they aren't the cheapest around, they're worth the extra expense. Some of the online discount outfits have a cheaper price on the head unit,but Crutchfield includes the wiring adapter and any dash adapters that you need to fill in the extra space when going from the factory stereo to a smaller aftermarket unit. :thumbs

Reaction score
http://www.crutchfield.com

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and even thought they aren't the cheapest around, they're worth the extra expense. Some of the online discount outfits have a cheaper price on the head unit,but Crutchfield includes the wiring adapter and any dash adapters that you need to fill in the extra space when going from the factory stereo to a smaller aftermarket unit. :thumbs

:thanks

I've actually been using them for shopping purposes. Insurance is taking care of the installation. I just have to send them the model I want, and pay the differenence if it's much more than alloted ($150).

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pioneer...you can start out cheap and add things like cd changers, mini disc
changers, multiples of both as well as ipod integration units, xm or sirius & bluetooth connections.

all the add-ons plug in to a connector called the "p-bus" and things change
and come out you can buy or add the p-bus devices you want.

when you use the p-bus devices you get full digital connections & cd
sound quality <no fm-modulators> & most of the head units will display
all the "new devices" info on the dash/head unit.

P-Bus controllers

Pioneer CD controllers offer built-in P-BUS Technology, a high-performance communication network. These controllers are distinguished by the letter "P" in the model numbers (such as the DEH-P625), and control the P-BUS-equipped multi-play CD players. All P-BUS controllers let you add a portable CD or cassette player through an auxiliary input. This year, many Pioneer P-BUS controllers feature 12-button/12-disc direct access for use with 12-disc Pioneer MCD changers. If you want to listen to disc two, you just press button two. It's that easy, it's that quick.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
alpine makes a good head unit, at least when i had one back in the early 90's in my Z28.

they were expensive back then, so i am sure they are thru the roof these days.

dont really know if they offer a cheapo for 300.00 or under. so much has changed since i was a stereo freak 15 years ago.

still luv that bump bump and the thump thump.

Reaction score
:thanks , guys!

Mike and Bush,

I have been looking pretty hard at this Pioneer unit. They only knock on it, is that some of the lights around it don't dim and are pretty bright.
But, it looks like Amazon has them at a pretty good price, w/ the IPOD adapter. I'll have to see if my insurance company will let me purchase and then reimburse me, or not.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
pioneer is the way to go.ive got all pioneer stuff in all my cars/trucks.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
I like the JVC head units, Mine has everything under the sun and has a USB port and I-pod connector on the front of the unit, it will also play video play back which might work for when I pug a back up camera to it.. Ive plugged my lap top to it for surround sound when I watch DVDs when I sleep in the back seat on road trips

78.JPG

here are more

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD3201100&pathId=54

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thanks , guys!

Mike and Bush,

I have been looking pretty hard at this Pioneer unit. They only knock on it, is that some of the lights around it don't dim and are pretty bright.
But, it looks like Amazon has them at a pretty good price, w/ the IPOD adapter. I'll have to see if my insurance company will let me purchase and then reimburse me, or not.

John ive got a pioneer premier w/ that OEL Display stuff...there are
brightness/dimmer settings w/in the face (menu) of the unit...i dont
have an issue w/ the dimming of mine.

i do however find all the "video" stuff a bit bright (even dimmed to
its fullest level) when im on LONG interstate trips...theres too much
reflection in my rear/split glass window of my crewcab (could be
due in part to the limo tint over the factory tint too) BUT...

w/ a pc (and the pioneer program provided) i created an ALL black
video (basically BLANK)...i select this video for "night driving" (fact
of the matter is that its ALWAYS selected)...and the head unit
face is COMPLETELY blank/black (except for the clock which can be
turned on and off too)...only the buttons on the radio "glow" this
way.

this might provide you w/ more information (and owners manuals) than
crutchfield or some of the others ->
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069880_291078777,00.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58