New Monitor for my PC, a 24 inch Samsung

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
My daughter wanted my old flat screen monitor so I decided to get one of the new 24 inch 9x16 format Samsung SyncMaster 245BW monitors. The difference is amazing as all the colors are much brighter than before but there are several things that make it even cooler. First is you can increase the dots per inch (DPI) from 96 to 120 which makes for much clearer images and better graphics. Second is I have a KWorld Delux video capture card so I can run the Dish Network signal into the PC, use a regular sized IE browser window and watch Speed channel on one side of the monitor. This way I miss nothing when working at hone or surfing the web. I use a Nvidia GForce 8600 video card which works amazingly well and there are two outputs so I could add a second monitor to play games.....but my wife said no.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'd like to add a PVR card to my PC,is there preferred ones over the others as I have some truck/railroad programs I wanted to transfer from my Dish DVR to DVD for later viewing.

Thanks!

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
PVR is the sofware, the brand name is KWorld, Global TV Terminator, Delux version. The cost here in Chula Vista is $32 and is probably goping down since I bought it a short while ago. I appologize as I should have looked at the box before I posted the info on the monitor.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw one at Office Depot the other day that I want. It is a flat screen but it is also touch screen. It is sweet. Don't know that much about PC but learning more everyday.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man my wife hates these computers as it is....surely shed divorce me before i could get that monitor outta the box and have it connected...

and w/ that ill close this laptop NOW ;)

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter wanted my old flat screen monitor so I decided to get one of the new 24 inch 9x16 format Samsung SyncMaster 245BW monitors. The difference is amazing as all the colors are much brighter than before but there are several things that make it even cooler. First is you can increase the dots per inch (DPI) from 96 to 120 which makes for much clearer images and better graphics. Second is I have a KWorld Delux video capture card so I can run the Dish Network signal into the PC, use a regular sized IE browser window and watch Speed channel on one side of the monitor. This way I miss nothing when working at hone or surfing the web. I use a Nvidia GForce 8600 video card which works amazingly well and there are two outputs so I could add a second monitor to play games.....but my wife said no.

Hey Johnrrogers,,, you must be into gaming in a big way. That 8600 video card is a killer card.
For those of us older eye impaired people, dell has a very nice system that they are selling at a very good price with a 20 inch digital wide flat screen and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE card. E6600 cpu, 2 gigs ram, etc. etc. for just over $1,100 with all the bells and whistles. Not near the killer graphics that you have, but quite good for us old guys.
I just ordered one today.
BTW, Dell is selling the above with XP and not vista, due to hardware and software issues that customers have had lately with Vista.
Since I left the computer field seven years ago, I feel like a dinosaur looking at all the new technology.
It is mind boggling to think what they will come up with when the kids of today are grown. Seems every three years technology takes a giant leap.
When I was a kid, T.V had not been developed. We would set around the radio and listen to the serial shows.

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evenings were spent drawing on the cave wall when I was a kid.

Wife just bought a new dell similar to above but with vista. No issues.

I bought a 22" lcd for mine all I can say is I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we were kids.

Evenings were spent drawing on the cave wall when I was a kid.

Wife just bought a new dell similar to above but with vista. No issues.

I bought a 22" lcd for mine all I can say is I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE!

Yes Roland,,, I can remember you.. You were that kid in the third cave who had the Pachyrhinosaurus for a pet.

That is great that you do not have any issues, but there are many older programs that do not work with Vista, and some hardware that do not have drivers for Vista. Eventually most of the hardware and software makers will have their products work with Vista.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a 24" LCD myself, since within a couple of weeks I'll be buying a new MacBook Pro and won't need the Gateway 21" LCD I've got now (giving it to my Mom). Apparently Samsung and LG monitors are the cat's arse so it's off to Best Buy I go to decide which to save up for...

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
I bought the monitor at Best Buy mainly since everything I have bought in the past year has had the price go down and I get $$$ back! The large monitors are great for us old folks and when you run the DPI up and then max out the resolution things get really big and easy to see. I have a bit more $$$ in my new PC than the Dell you mentioned but I bought 4 500GB drives to go in it which give me a huge amount of storage for my digital picts which are eith 1.5MB or 5MB depending on how I set the camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg