New project car

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to pickup a new project. Here are the Basics: 1987 Mustang Coupe. Has a 351W bored .30 over (358ci) C-4 trans. Victor Sr heads. BBK longtubes. Eagle crank and rods. Holley 750 with Mech secondaries. Victor Jr intake. 175 nitrous cheater. Frame connectors. Auburn 8.8 locker with 4.10's.

Have some additions ready to install: Tubular K member. Tubular control arms. Adjustable camber plates. Quick ratio manual rack. strange engineering adjustable struts. Lakewood traction bars. Comp engineering adjustable drag shocks. Moroso drag springs. MSD Distributor, Coil and the new 6AL-2 box :hail. 7 quart Moroso deep sump pan with high volume pump and windage tray. Ford Racing tall valve covers. Line lock. Trans brake with full manual reverse valve body. Deep tranny pan.

getting ready to order some more gauges once I figure out where I want to mount them. I am thinking I will get one of those kits that eliminate the the the center vent and holds three gauges.

The car has slips saying it runs 6.90 in the 1/8 on the bottle and 7.30 in the 1/8th on motor. I am hoping for high 10's low 11's in the 1/4 on the engine. The car will be a race car you can drive on the street vs a street car you drive on the track.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the cam profile or the compression of the motor. Not a big deal for right now but I would like to know ( I will figure it out)

I will update the progress, hoping to have the motor and suspension done in a month or two.
Paint and interior will come next year. Of course I have purchased new door pins to cure the cursed Mustang door sag

IMG00073-20090513-1615.jpg

IMG00076-20090514-0804.jpg

Here is my buddies 61 Starliner that we are dropping a 521 in :dizzy
IMGP0347.jpg

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice a buddy of mine across the street has a stang like that but it is primer black. Has about the same engine in it. Runs a 6.9 in the 1/8.

Have fun with that project.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanna sell the Pontiac?

Whoa! Pontiac? That is a Ford only shop. The 61 is a Ford Galaxy Starliner and the one in the background is 63 Ford Galaxy 500.
I didn't realize the 63 was in the picture because it is in a different bay now. We are finishing up the engine install in the that in the next few weeks. It had a 352 in it but it will soon have a very nicely built 390 with a C-6 and a 9 inch locker in the rear. Will be a good cruising car that will make some guys with "hotrods" feel bad to be beat by a 6000 pound car.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we need video proof that it can do a burnout.

What he said.:lmao:lmao

Nice project.;tu

I will get some video when I take it to the track to tune it. I can't wait to launch it with the trans brake. Either that or I will shoot a video once the car is back together and I test the line lock. :sweet

I am considering a cam change to a Lunati Vodoo with .624 / .640 Lift :dizzy as long as I don't have to fly cut the pistons. Tuning it will be fun!!!

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!

Well after tearing it all apart to make sure everything is okay I have changed my direction a little. The engine and internals are all fine, but I figured I would like a little more power!
only discrepancy I found is the motor is not bored, it has the standard 4.000 bore, which is good because I am going to bore it .030 over.

I am going to bore and stroke it to a 410 :sly:sly
New parts now going into the car. Full Eagle rotating assembly with forged crank, forged H-beam rods and Keith Black forged aluminum pistons. I haven't selected a cam yet but I am looking for a pretty radical cam that I still can run on the street. One that I am considering is the Lunati 61012 the int lift is 571 and the exhaust lift is 587. I am also considering a Lunati Vodoo cam but I want to stick with a Hydraulic roller cam vs. a Mechanical roller cam. I have contacted Lunati about the Vodoo cam, I will see what they say.
I have a nice Holley 4150 750cfm carb but I may jump to a Holley 4150HP 830cfm carb.

Interesting fact that I have learned from this project. Ford started making the 351W a roller engine in late 93 as 94's (casting code F4TE) My block cam from a 94 Lightning and ford decided to continue using a flat tappet cam in the Lightning through (i believe) 96. what kind of sense does that make when a roller cam is far superior.

For all that requested a burnout as proof of power, I will provide upon completion of the engine.:sly I am hoping to complete before the end of August. Paint and interior will be next year.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Here are a couple more pics of the progress. So far everything is out and I am waiting for my brass freeze plug set to get here to take the motor to the machine shop, should be here weds.
The tubular k member, control arms, coil overs, struts, adjustable camber / caster plates and quick ratio manual steering rack are in! :clap:
transmission will be coming apart to install reverse manual valve body and transbrake :sweet this week as well.
I ended up with the Scat rotating assembly instead of the Eagle and its 408 not a 410. Not sure why I typed 410 :dunno
I am picking up some thicker copper head gaskets, probly .050 because the compression with the Keith Black pistons and my heads comes out to 11.7:1, a little high for pump gas. the thicker gaskets should bring me down to around 11.0:1.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58