new to a 7.3

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with everybody else on this issue. Truck sounds like a good deal but that mileage is hard to pass by. When did ford go to digital odometers. I would seriously have all the fluids checked. How long was the truck sitting. Have you tried to engage 4x4 or is it 2wd? Good luck

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I am with everybody else on this issue. Truck sounds like a good deal but that mileage is hard to pass by. When did ford go to digital odometers. I would seriously have all the fluids checked. How long was the truck sitting. Have you tried to engage 4x4 or is it 2wd? Good luck

i believe that ford has had digital odometers sine the very early 90's. My granddad has a 93 F-250 with the 460 and it has a digital odometer. My 97 PSD also has a digital odometer. When I bought my truck and had to take it in for service, I asked the mechanic how hard it would be to screw with the odometer and he said, pretty hard, but I'm not sure that I believe that. If they've been around since the early 90's, that gave people plenty of time from then till now to figure out how to screw with them pretty easy. Sorry, got a little off topic:sorry , but yeah, digital odometers have been aroud in Fords since the early 90's.

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also was wondering what the stock boost is for a 7.3 and wat the chances are the turbo could be shot haha... sorry im annoying i just dont want to dump 18k on a truck is get screwed..:sorry

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also was wondering what the stock boost is for a 7.3 and wat the chances are the turbo could be shot haha... sorry im annoying i just dont want to dump 18k on a truck is get screwed..:sorry

Stock boost should be, 15 to 18 lbs. It should build and hold 15 lbs under a load/demand.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost pressure will be determined by the load on the engine and range from 0 to about almost 20, IIRC the computer won't let it get past 22 PSI in stock form.

When needed, the stock Superduty PSD turbo is simple to rebuild, in fact it's one of the simplest turbos there is to rebuild. It cost me just under $200 to rebuild the one on my 2000 F350 and that included all parts, seals, new bolts, a banks wheel (AKA wicked wheel) and having the rotating assembly cleaned, polished and balanced.

BTW, that truck had 320,000+ miles on it when I rebuilt the stock turbo. A turbo is pretty hard to pooch unless it injests something or isn't getting lubrication.

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow great info thanks guys...

this forum needs reputation points to award to people for helping out and stuff

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
i believe that ford has had digital odometers sine the very early 90's. My granddad has a 93 F-250 with the 460 and it has a digital odometer. My 97 PSD also has a digital odometer. When I bought my truck and had to take it in for service, I asked the mechanic how hard it would be to screw with the odometer and he said, pretty hard, but I'm not sure that I believe that. If they've been around since the early 90's, that gave people plenty of time from then till now to figure out how to screw with them pretty easy. Sorry, got a little off topic:sorry , but yeah, digital odometers have been aroud in Fords since the early 90's.

After 1997 Ford went back to rolling numbers in the SD's. Stayed that way until 03-04 somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58