new to diesel truck world

Ken1939

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello from Mount Airy, Maryland! I bought a 2006 F250 4X4 with 17000 miles and a 6.0L diesel Powerstroke....then I did the research! It looks like the engines on the 03 and 04 models were real disasters. But by 2006 they might be OK. I haven't found enough testimony to convince me one way or the other. I have owned 4 gasoline trucks that I drove about 10 years each except the last one was 17 years. I never had a problem. I figured this would be my last truck so I got a diesel to make sure it would outlast me. Now I have my doubts and am having a touch of buyers remorse. I'll spend some time on this forum and see what everyone else is experiencing and keep my fingers crossed that I didn't make the wrong decision. I won't be overworking the truck (maybe underworking it) as I am retired. I still drag my Bobcat around for a small job here and there but those trips are few and far between. I will only put about 4 or 5K miles on this truck per year.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome to the SuperDutyDiesel community Ken,great to have you on board;tu

I look towards seeing some photos of that '06 :thumbs

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
:w4

feel free to post up any questions you might have about the 6.0, in our 6.0 forums, there is a vault full of knowledge here to help answer your questions.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 and have had zero problems with it. Just remember to drive it like you stole it every once in a while, but not like you are racing it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome !

My 2004 has been flawless...dont believe everything
you read or hear about the 6.0

the 05-07s really have only one build problem...and
its covered under warranty.

install a coolant filter <and avoid intake & power-programming
type mods and you should have a great dependable truck>

and dont BAIL on the truck when you have your 1st problem...
remember these things are mechanical <just like your gassers>
and stuff requires periodic maint.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will only put about 4 or 5K miles on this truck per year.

:lmao:lmao I do that a week these days.

Maintenance is the key, especially oil changes with the proper oil in a powerstroke.

My rule of thumb buying a car or truck is to avoid the first few years of a major change. My only gripe about my 6.0 is fuel economy significantly lower than my 7.3 psd and 7.3 idi. Other than that no problems in the 30k I have put on it since OCT... 22k was put on between jan 26 to today.

I run western Canada a lot. Only problem with the truck is my batteries froze around -20 to -30F and I had to replace them, truck has been starting right up in that weather without being plugged in since then, although I plug it in when I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58