new to diesel truck world

Ken1939

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to Diesel truck

Some interesting reading. So far I haven't seen anything much negative about the 6.0 engine. Most of the feedback is positive and that is what I was hoping for. Although there seems to be some different opinions on when to change the oil and which oil to use there is a general agreement that changing the oil is important. Thanks for the info.

Goodtin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2006 PSD Review

Hey Ken, I also have a 2006 PSD 4X2 and use it to tow my 26' Airstream TT that weighs 8000 lbs GVWR. I don't tow that often so for the most part it's hiway driving for me. I have the oil changed at my local Ford dealer regularly (3,000), and it gets excellent care. I'm also retired and didn't buy it to race, so I had hopes that it would last a good long time, even though I drive a lot.

Well, everything was fine till I reached 66,000 miles and then the injectors started going bad, then it was the injector sleeve, then the glow plugs. The truck has been in the shop WAY to much and has left me on the side of the road. My confidance level is WAY down right now and I'm not sure that I'll keep the truck. I NEVER had issues like this with the gassers that I've owned.

My friends that have had diesel experience tell me to 'hang in there' and that in the long run I'll be happy. Hmmm, I spose for now that's what I'll do. I have an airaid air intake, go power pure permenant oil filter, 4" exhasut , Hypertech 111 programmer (since 20,000 mi). Everything else is stock. My dealer has covered all the injectors, however now that the injector sleeve had to be replaced and it took two full weeks to complete the repair, he says it was the result of the programmer. So it looks like I'll take it to arbitration:(

Ken1939

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2006 PSD review

Thanks for the info, Goodtin. Your story is very much like a lot of stories I read about the 03 and 04 models but not about the 06 model. I guess everything I have on this truck is stock. I have been resisting the urge to learn some of this technical terminology, kind of subscribing to the "a little knowledge is dangerous" theory. Now, however, it is beginning to look like if I am going to read this forum I better get up to speed on what some of this stuff means. I have been driving for 57 years and even used to be a pretty good shade tree mechanic. But today there is a feeling of accomplishment if I can just find the hood latch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58