New truck, new exhaust... opinions?

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 06 CC SB 2 weeks ago yesterday. So far Ive added a few minor things(vent shades, silver star bulbs, powerstroke tag on front) Friday I installed the SCT X3 programmer. For the past four+ nights Ive been online researching exhaust, and the best bang for the buck. Tonight I just ordered an MBRP 4'' aluminuzed turboback off road kit. Did ALOT fo searching, and found one for $350, and included SS tip. Did I make an OK decision? I know many of you will prob. say I should have went with the SS, but A) I live in the south, no road salt, road grime etc. B) I bought what I could afford at the moment, and not have the wife all over my case. Any tips or advice to installing this? Im a GM tech, and work on Duramax's everyday, but the SD's are all new to me.

Scott

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be fine. It never hurts to save a buck when you can.

If you can work on a Duramax's everyday you will have no problems putting it on the S/D.
Also WELCOME to SSD.com

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with the same kit. One thing to say is there is no way to put the cat back on if you need to get warranty work. Went through MBRP and the wat an additional 170 bucks plus shiiping for a new down pipe and test pipe. I just welded v clamps on either side of the cat and test pipe to make it work.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBRP is by far the most popular exhaust...It's probably due to
their fit & finish.

I went w/ the SS system myself, its held up well in the salt, snow
and sea air/elements.

I like the MBRP test pipe for the simple fact that it requires no
modification to either the factory cat, the stock exhaust or the
aftermarket exhaust systems (since its uses EXACTLY the same
fittment "type" and is same length as the factory cat)...not cutting
no welding and not bizarre clamps required !

I can swap the factory cat in and out the exhaust system in about
15min. at the most...which could be good if you find a trip to the
dealer to be necessary.

Im very happy w/ my MBRP Turbo back, Test Pipe & Double Wall
tip.

Last edited:

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Now Ill just have to patiently await for it to arrive on the big brown truck. Ill post my results as soon as I can.

Scott

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same exhaust as you do, you got a pretty good price. Where'd you find it? I have had warranty work done without the cat on it, but the tech wasn't a hard ass either. I think he liked seeing what kind of work people do on their trucks.

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news, the exhaust arrived today. I HIGHLY recomend them, fast shipping with an UNBEATABLE price. Im gonna slap it on tomorrow on my lunch break, Ill post up my end results tomorrow night!

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, slapped it on todayat lunch. I am very DISSATIFIED. The hangers are absolutley a piss poor design. I cut the second intermediate pipe to length as specified in the directions, guess what.....yupp....too short... Had to finaggle it around to get it to barley work. When I fire the truck, it sounds like a damn vacuum cleaner sucking, sounds like ass. Off idle it sounds good, but over all I am not happy. Im gonna take the ****ty clamps and hangers off, and weld up some of the seams and ass NEW hangers, the way it should have been done in the first place. Im gonna get a piece of 4'' pipe to put in place of the muffler tuesday, and see how it sounds then. Ok, sorry for the long rant.

Scott

Beatngu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You dislike the the turbo sound at idol? If you delete the muffler it will be even more apparent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58