New truck, new exhaust... opinions?

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
That sucks man, I havent heard a bad story about the mbrp exhaust till now. and the hangers?? I thought that it was a complete easy install. Im confused now.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
That vaccum cleaner sound you're hearing is normal, it means welcome to the life of a 6.0 It's your turbo, and removing the muffler will only enhance the sound, some like it, others hate it.

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasnt a bad install, I just wasnt satisfied with the hanger design. Im very perticular, so maybe its just me. Im still gonna re-do them when I get the time.

I guess the MAIN reason Im not satisfied, I was wanting that excessivley loud whistling sound at idle and off idle. It whistles some, but not nearly as much as many that I have heard. Maybe they run a 5'' and mine doesnt sound like that cuz its a 4''??? I have no idea. But Im sure I can learn to live with it.

Scott

Beatngu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It's b/c you have a 2005+ 6.0L, the 03/04 have the loud whistle from the 10 vein turbos they have.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasnt a bad install, I just wasnt satisfied with the hanger design. Im very perticular, so maybe its just me. Im still gonna re-do them when I get the time.

I guess the MAIN reason Im not satisfied, I was wanting that excessivley loud whistling sound at idle and off idle. It whistles some, but not nearly as much as many that I have heard. Maybe they run a 5'' and mine doesnt sound like that cuz its a 4''??? I have no idea. But Im sure I can learn to live with it.

Scott

its not gonna whistle at idle...the turbine isnt turning enough to
whistle at idle.

the VGT turbos sound a little different at idle (vanes opening and
closing).

theres no real advantage of running a 5in (unless youve got something
your tryin' to "make up for" :oops:

youve gotta be over 700hp at the wheels to see an improvement
from the 5inch exhaust...and even at that it wont fit against the firewall...
a 4inch down pipe requires DENTING of the firewall just to get the
pipe enough clearance !

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
For the first couple of days after I put mine on it did sound like a vacuum but after a couple of days I did get a little of whisle at idle. I am not sure if this is due to the turbo re-learning the backpressure or what but it did sound different after a couple of days.

Also, I had the louvers back when I first put the muffler on and it is significantly louder that way. I did not want mine that loud so I turned the muffler around and it is not quite as loud.

My only complaint is when I went from stock system with no cat to the 4" 409 turbo back with no cat my MPG went down about 1 MPG, where it went up 1 when I took the cat off with the stock system.

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your input. The more I listen to it, the more its growing on me, and think I like it. Im gonna make a 4'' piece of pipe to slide in place of the muffler, just to see how it sounds, for my own curiosity. If I dont like it, im only out $10-15 bucks.

While Ive got your guys attention, what other "INEXPENSIVE" mods can I do at the moment? Is an intake worth the money? Im very happy with the trucks performance for now, just looking for any options.

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your input. The more I listen to it, the more its growing on me, and think I like it. Im gonna make a 4'' piece of pipe to slide in place of the muffler, just to see how it sounds, for my own curiosity. If I dont like it, im only out $10-15 bucks.

While Ive got your guys attention, what other "INEXPENSIVE" mods can I do at the moment? Is an intake worth the money? Im very happy with the trucks performance for now, just looking for any options.

jus do the zoodad mod with the stock air intake. the stock intake is pretty good unless ur makin some major power

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harpoon the tank !
install a coolant by-pass filter !
replace the shocks...
(see the mods in my signature/link)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members