New Turbo Is In, More Questions

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
the new turbo is in today.

question #1: does a new turbo typically need some "break in" time before it starts to function to 100% capacity.

the reason i ask, is that it has some serious turbo lag. where before with the original turbo, the response was rather quick. NOW, its seems that it takes about 3 seconds before it kicks in good, but when it does, GOOD NIGHT, it really kicks you in the pants.

the whistle and the swooshing are lots louder than before :thumbs

question #2: i am still getting a little bit of a squeeling noise, but it goes away real quick. only does it when you get on it good. ?what could it be?

question #3: any ideas on this? --> if you punch it to the floor, it feels like your on the brakes (but im not), until it hits about 10lbs (after waiting for 3 seconds) then it frees up.

i think some of my problem maybe that the k&n system is old and beat up, but i didn't have this lag before, when the original turbo was in.

:dunno :dunno :dunno

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Bama, Is it the stock replacement for the old one or did you upgrade?

sorry, forgot to mention that.

it is a stock turbo, but it is the updated version. has about a 10hp gain.

hope that helps some.

was told the vein design was betterr, and the housing is better.

it is not a re-built, it is brand new, never been installed before.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think if it is an updated version it wouldn't have as much turbo lag. With a better vein design and housing it should spool up quicker. I can't see the k&n filter causing a problem as long as airflow isn't restricted too much.

Sometimes I get squeeling noise from mine. Mine is the serpentine belt.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
the tech that installed it, told me that i needed to take it easy and let it "break in," does that sound right?

also said the bearings maybe be alittle tight at first.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
bama-
something else i did not tell you today that i learned was that my tech. said every turbo is a reman. bottom line. he was telling me they pulled 1 off the shelf, trash did not install it, pulled 2nd one trash did not install it, pulled third one it was ok. all are reman. boils down to manufacturing process defect. as for the break-in period, i was never told that. same goes for the bearings..
per the lag, don't know what to say - other than keep an eye on it. check it out after your banks install and give them feed back. it COULD have a defect. just my 2 cents....

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that anything new should have a break in period. Its kind of hard with a turbo though condsidering it is spinning at 10 times your rpm. The bearings (brass bushings) shouldn't be tight either.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
one thing the tech said to me after he installed the turbo was this:

"i hope that turbo isn't one for the LCF (med. duty cab-over fords) trucks, cause if it is, you aren't gonna have any power."

BUT, when it does spool up, the truck lundges forward and puts you back in the seat, and hits 30lbs. easy.

so i dont think it is the wrong turbo.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none of the turbos we have installed on the semis at work have break-in time, sounds like you need a trip; to the dealer:(

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stephen do you have that egr pipe on now too ? is there a link between
the egr pipe & this new turbo ???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl