Newbie needs tree pulling advice

chicken vindaloo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
As you can see by the following questions I have NO experience doing work type stuff with my (new for me) truck. I just bought an '05 F350 4X4. I would like to use it to yank out a couple of hibiscus trees. They have an extensive root system and are very hard to dig out (I've done it with smaller specimens). Anyway, I was thinking about how to go about this. The trees have multiple trunks and I thought I would use a 20' tow strap rated at 17,000 lbs. attached to the front tow loop. If I do this, does four wheel drive function in reverse? Should I use a strap with a loop or a hook? If a hook, will this scratch my tow loop leading to rust? Is there a better way to go about this? Pardon the clueless questions, but I'd rather learn the right way to do this rather than doing something stupid (but probably amusing). TIA. Eric

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd functions in forward OR reverse and independant of
any "drive" gear.

Ive pulled a few bushes & tree stakes.

I use a 30ft grade 80 chain...wrap it round the object a
couple of times (tightly) then loop it thru my WARN recv'r
mounted rear shackle.

ive never had to use more than 4lo and idling or light
pressure on the throttle.

Shackle.jpg

ChokerChain.jpg

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
whether you are using a strap or a chain, drape an old blanket over it...it will help keep it from flying back at the truck and breaking a winsheild or a back glass or even dents in hood, roof of the truck....:innocent....:doh:....also use a good quality chain or strap....

and in case anyone is wondering, this was a one time thing and i have pulled many vehicles out since then with no issues......:lmao

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
friend of mine has the imprint of chain links 'cross the hood
of his suburban from a situation like this !

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get you a good running start and make sure someone is videotaping it then post it for us to see. :roflmao

:lmao:lmao

I use a 4', 4X4 post and a 20', 20K tow strap or 3/4", welded link chain. 3-4 wraps around the Bush/SmallTree..... put the post at a 45* toward the Bush/Tree.. Low gear, take up the slack, ease forward.. the 4X4 (Jin Pole) acts to pull Up.. & Out... Just be sure yer strait on the pull.

Might halfta put some cribbing under the 4X4 post.. depending on the ground firmness.

Lay the 4' 4X4 down close to whatever yer guna pull... stand it up.... (at 45*), yul have the right leverage ;)

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
:lmao:lmao

I use a 4', 4X4 post and a 20', 20K tow strap or 3/4", welded link chain. 3-4 wraps around the Bush/SmallTree..... put the post at a 45* toward the Bush/Tree.. Low gear, take up the slack, ease forward.. the 4X4 (Jin Pole) acts to pull Up.. & Out... Just be sure yer strait on the pull.

Might halfta put some cribbing under the 4X4 post.. depending on the ground firmness.

darn. Old Sailors have all the answers ;tu:sly

darn good idea joe, i could have used it last spring, but you know the only dumb question is the one you dont ask :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14