Newbie needs tree pulling advice

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
One other thing you can do is tie off another rope or chain to the back side(away from truck)of the bush and tie it to something solid)with some slack) that way when the bush breaks free, the second rope will slow it down before it hit the truck.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best tree pulling truck I know of.

My dad told me that many years ago, they had a huge dying oak tree in his home town by the tracks, and city officials were figuring out how to get it down when a engineer told them to wrap numerous chains around it and hook them to the back of his train. My dad said that the engineer barely opened the throttle and the tree came out. :eek:

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL CBs i know would try to run it over with a Dozer or 7 ton:sly:dizzy

Havent spent much time with them but they find a way to do everything

but what do i know im just a Navy Corpsman sationed with a bunch of Marines:D

chicken vindaloo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I like the chain and shackle plan with some anti-airborne provisions. Where is the best place to find this hardware?

Shackle.jpg

ChokerChain.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Warn for the receiver mounted shackle. Local chain supplier for the chain. Be sure to get good chain, not cheap hardware store stuff.

chicken vindaloo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Waiting...

Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of feedback on all this, but Tractor Supply had to order the receiver shackle and it still isn't in. Also, the TSC here (Melbourne, FL) doesn't carry grade 80 chain at all and doesn't even have grade 70 in cut to length. They do have grade 70 in a 20' length already fitted with end hooks which I guess is what I'll get. Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know what happens eventually.
Eric

+1 in fact thats EXACTLY where i got those parts
that i provided photos of !

you can buy "cut to lenght" GRADE 80 chain at tractor supply.

chicken vindaloo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Success!!!!!!

Well, my Warn shackle receiver finally came in and I got some grade 70 transport chain from TSC (highest grade they had) and got 'er done. It actually took a fair amount of throttle to rip the trees out of the ground. I definitely had to be in 4X4 mode, otherwise I just spun the rear wheels. On that note, it seemed that there were some times that the dash showed 4X4 yet I was not in that mode. Is that common? Also, should the hubs automatically go into locked position when in low range 4X4 position (I have the electronic shift on the fly variety). I had to manually turn them. I know people have complained about the unreliability of the vacuum system.
In any case, that was fun. I'm looking for more stuff to yank out of the ground. Interestingly, this morning when I came out of my house, there was a 15" coral snake on my front steps. I guess I disturbed his home.
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14