Nissan Titan/Cummins Engine

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I saw the cab-off problem right away and thought high maintenance costs. That could kill this project. I hope not as we need smaller diesels.

Dave

Gotta remember this is a I4 engine. Looking closely at the pics with the cab on, I see no reason to lift cab to do anything on the engine you would want to do in chassis. I bet they had the cab off just for a better look inside.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2001 Dodge with the Cummins engine. Cylinders 5 and 6 were under the cowl but no one ever pulled the cab off to work on those trucks. The inline cylinder configuration leaves a lot more room in the engine compartment to work than a V8 does.

Ford was working on a deal with International for a smaller version of the Powerstroke to put in the F-150. Then came the first generation 6.0 with all it's fuel system problems and Ford backed out of the deal. Apparently it was International or nothing at that time for Ford diesels. GM used to offer the diesel in their 1/2 ton trucks, all the way into the 90s I believe. IIRC, the introduction of the Duramax ended diesel powered 1/2 ton trucks and Suburbans for GM. GM actually used a slightly different version of the 6.2 and 6.5 in the 1/2 tons than in the 3/4 tons or higher. And it worked well. I had a friend with a full size blazer with the 6.2 that got almost 25 mpg.

The Cummins in a Nissan would probably draw a lot of business to Nissan like Cummins draws business to Dodge. Personally I'd like to see a diesel Toyota Tundra or even a Tacoma. A diesel Tacoma would be a great commuter vehicle with capability to do some light work.

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Totyoto hilux and landrovers I get to drive in Brazil, keep me waiting, and waiting....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I drove a diesel powered Landcruiser in Costa Rica in the 80's. That was the sloooowest vehicle I have ever driven.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a diesel powered Landcruiser in Costa Rica in the 80's. That was the sloooowest vehicle I have ever driven.

Dave

the gas powered counterparts were nothing to write home about either. for the most part '80s toyota trucks were built nails tough but lacked power

As far as the diesel goes, I'll be interested to see if they can pull it off, as for servicing, the cab-off is common on many trucks today simply because 1/2 of the engine is under the cowls to help aerodynamics of the windshield so that's not going to kill it, heck take a look at a 5.4L F150 or any F150 built since '97 for that matter.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone is going to pop out with a kubota motor in a truck someware

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58