No 4x4 light

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi
My 99 F250 ESOF when the switch is flipped I get no 4x4 lights. I have checked the fuses and cleaned the connection on the motor. Is there an easy way to trouble shoot to see if it is a motor or module? Will I get a bath if I pull the motor? Thanks Mark:dunno

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
I am not certain on the sd version, but the explorers and rangers had the shaft sticking out of the case behind the motor with a seal to keep the fluids in and the dirt out. you could change it without getting your hands more than dusty. i would like to think yours would be similar. Can you check for power at the motor connection with the switch turned on? If you have power down there,and no action, then that would point to a bad motor. If you don't have power down there, then it would have to be a switch or the module. Or the wiring in between

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just checked the voltage at the motor. Twice just after turnung on the key had pulses of voltage at the plug. But, when switched back and forth from two to four wheel drive had no voltage. Is this the module?
Thanks Mark

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just checked for sure. Have no power to the shift motor. By applying power to the two pins in the relay box can make the motor run. So those are good. Noticed that when the key is turned on the 4x4 and lo range lights do not come on in the test. There is power in the relay box on two of the pins for each relay just as schematic calls for. I feel like this is a gem malfunction, also found out about the recall on the module as well. Can any one tell me if there is a way to tell if the recall has been done on the truck and if it still applies? Do you have to go to Ford to buy a module? any ideas? thanks Mark:dunno

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gem $533

Called the Ford dealer today. My 99 SD with remote entry the GEM is $533.00.
What's wrong with gear shift levers?:dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hi
Just checked the voltage at the motor. Twice just after turnung on the key had pulses of voltage at the plug. But, when switched back and forth from two to four wheel drive had no voltage. Is this the module?
Thanks Mark

did you ohm out the switch?

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
4x4 light

No I have not tried the switch yet. When you first turn on the key, aren't the 4x4 light supposed to test with rest when you turn the key on? I have the print you sent will go pull the switch and check it this morning and see if I can tell anything from that. Thanks Mark

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Switch

OK Just checked the switch. It tests OK. I think I will pull the motor and housing off and check the switches in there and make sure that is all ok.

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Motor

Took the shift motor off and put power to it. The motor would run but would not move the socket that shifts the case. Replaced the motor still do not have function for the 4x4 lights. Now I can put power to the motor from the relay box and shift the transfer case from 2 to 4 but nothing else works. I guess before I throw $533.00 at a module I am going to ring out a bunch of wires first.:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58