No 4x4 light

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the computer, I don't know if this will even help. I want to say, that the 4x4 lights don not self check with the others on startup, but I'm not sure and I'm not near my truck to look for myself. I was understanding that the lights turn on only after the linkage actually moves into 4wd. Which would mean that you would not see the light unless it actually worked. My truck has a manual lever, so it won't help with the circuitry checks as a guinea pig either. I wish i could access the diagram jl supplied, but my browser won't pull it up. Sorry, and good luck. If i can find anymore info I'll post it. Sure hate to see a guy buy that module!

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
I just had another thought, it may be way off, but i seem to remember a relay in the system that operates the motor. Do u see one in the diagram? I wanna say you turn the switch on to close the relay, then the relay sends batt voltage to the motor. I could be smoking, but I'm grasping at straws for ya. Does this help? If there is a relay in the system, it could be bad.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the computer, I don't know if this will even help. I want to say, that the 4x4 lights don not self check with the others on startup, but I'm not sure and I'm not near my truck to look for myself. I was understanding that the lights turn on only after the linkage actually moves into 4wd. Which would mean that you would not see the light unless it actually worked. My truck has a manual lever, so it won't help with the circuitry checks as a guinea pig either. I wish i could access the diagram jl supplied, but my browser won't pull it up. Sorry, and good luck. If i can find anymore info I'll post it. Sure hate to see a guy buy that module!

they do self check

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
lights

The lights do self check when the key is in the start position. That part still works. There are two relays in the system to run the motor. depending on which direction the motor needs to run, the two relays alternate power or ground to change direction. I have switched the relays around from the trailer charging relay to troubleshoot the motor relays. I can power the motor from the relay box and change the position of the transfer case. The old motor would not do that. The grounds for the relays is good. I did not think untill now about check to see if there was power to the relay winding when the switch was flipped. I doubt it, unless the trailer charging relay is bad also. Better check that too. The mode switch in the dash is good. Simple check with an ohm meter solved that. I guess my next big hurdle is to find the module and start ringing out the wires and see whats what. the only thing is neither relay clicks when the switch is flipped. That makes it scary. Last big question for tonight. WHERE IS THE %$#!&*^$%$#^#$ MODULE Thanks All Mark:rant

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
My bad on the self check guys, sure sounds like you've done a decent job of heading right for the most exspensive part. Only thing left is the module or the wiring between it and the switch or the relays. Long live the shift levers!

airportmark

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry about not getting back. Took the truck to the Ford store. $65 later pulled the hard codes out all worked fine Yee Ha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58