no more mercon?

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
I just saw this and am a bit surprised to say the least. If this is accurate this will be a real problem for our transmissions which do not like mercon 5.

Do I recall correctly that there is federal legislation requiring automakers to make replacement parts available for ten years after a model year is manufactured? If so, would fluids fall within this requirement? If these assumptions are correct and the manual clearly states "Do not use Mercon V," maybe Ford could be pressured/required to make it available for a few more years. Is this plausible? Any attorneys who could comment?

www.truckpulls.com

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
But the guy from Ford...Ved...says this

“All transmissions recommending Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V,” Ved later told Lube Report. “Mercon V is a tighter specification, requiring better anti-oxidation, antiwear and anti-shudder properties from service-fill ATFs. We are doing this because we want to ensure our customers get the better fluid."

So all you need to do is go with the V rated fluid and call it good. Ford says its good....its good. They used to say its not good, but....based on this....7-8 years....even a 99 is covered by this statement from the Ford New Product Center engineer......

"Ved, based at Ford’s Automatic Transmission New Product Center in Livonia, Mich., is the company’s lead development engineer for ATF. He noted that although his company has recommended Mercon V for all vehicles for the past seven or eight years, most Ford models on the road continue to be serviced by Mercon. Mercon V, however, is a far better product that more closely resembles the factory-fill ATF which Ford has used for over eight years. It requires the use of a more shear-stable viscosity index improver, and Group II or Group II-plus base oil to meet its viscosity and oxidation targets."

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
That still does not explain why the manual states not to use Mercon V. If it was better it should not have been a big deal.

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
Why have they said for years not to use Mercon V or dual rated Mercon/Mercon V in thousands of E-4OD's and 4R100's if it is so much better.

slickrick

SLICKRICK w/a BIG...TRUCK
Reaction score
Most tranny rebuilding shops and quick lube places just use Dextron 3 with whichever additive for the make... honda uses a certain additive, Ford a certain additive.. but all added to dextron 3...... the additives are made by Lube-Guard or a similar company.... very interesting.... but I have seen it with my own eyes.... just about every manufacturer is using their own "blend" of ATF.... I have to believe this is for no other reason but to make a few extra bucks, and it seems like exactly why Ford said not to use Mercon 5 and now its ok ??? ATF is all the same in general with different "additives" for certain applications really... its over complicating a simple thing..... I have no problem with dextron 3 and lube-guard additive in my E4ODE..... just fyi.....

Slick:sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
IIRC, "in a land far, far, away." A little birdie(engineer) from ford told the PSD owners of this "land" the scoop on ATF.:D

Something about the Mercron V had more "grip" and the clutches in 4r100 and E4OD didn't need it, or it's vice versa, maybe someone that was in that land at the time will chime in and clear things up.-popcorn

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
IIRC, "in a land far, far, away." A little birdie(engineer) from ford told the PSD owners of this "land" the scoop on ATF.:D

Something about the Mercron V had more "grip" and the clutches in 4r100 and E4OD didn't need it, or it's vice versa, maybe someone that was in that land at the time will chime in and clear things up.-popcorn
I know for a fact he will not respond to this or anything else about a Ford tranny. But he was once quoted as saying DO NOT USE MERCON V IN YOUR 4R100 OR E4OD TRANNY. It would cause damage to your tranny in an unspecified length of time. I'm guessing somewhere around 10k but that is only a guess.
His word on this is good enough for me and it tells me that Ford is now going against good engineering knowledge at the cost of us with these trannies. They are loosing credibility in my book.
Jim

BIGBLUECREW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think I am more confused since I started reading this post. Which one is the correct fluid to use then????:confused: :eek:

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
The owners manual, and transmission dipstick, say USE MERCON. Do not use MERCON V or dual rated MERCON/MERCON V fluids. However, Ford now says that it is OK. That is just bull, IMHO, because the tranny and the fluid have not changed. How could it be OK now?? My guess is that it is not.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I use Redline ATF (Mercon rated) in my tranny. After reading the link, I sent Redline an email asking if they will continuue manufacturing Mercon after the '07 deadline. When I get their reply I'll post it here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl