No start and I hear clicking like flashers

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck won't start or have the wait to start light on. Batteries have been charged. When I open the door I hear clicking like the flashers are on and can hear what I think is a relay in the underdash fuse box making the noise. The 30 amp fuse for the fuel heater isn't blown either. Has anyone had to change that relay and will it give me these symptoms? :dunno I haven't done any mods in almost a year so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Truck won't start or have the wait to start light on. Batteries have been charged. When I open the door I hear clicking like the flashers are on and can hear what I think is a relay in the underdash fuse box making the noise. The 30 amp fuse for the fuel heater isn't blown either. Has anyone had to change that relay and will it give me these symptoms? :dunno I haven't done any mods in almost a year so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Ck ur battery cable connections for corrosion. That sort of thing can cause prob's like you've described.

Also ck the negative cable where it's grounded to the block/frame. Look for oil/grease/corrosion or loose connectors.

Good Luck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 with what TG sez Pat.

I keep posting (Harping) about Battery & Cable condition.... but I seem to wrench on these PSD's almost daily.. That don't make me an expert, and I don't claim to be.. but I can't count how many times.. Batteries, Cables and their associated connections have been the "Fix" for PSD electrical "Gremlins" brought to me.

In your case, unless you've changed any of them out, your Batts, Cables and Connections are 9+ years old.

I go with TG on this one. Primary 12v power condition is where I'd start too.

Joe

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batteries are 2 years old. All connections are tight and terminals clean. Now I'm going to check to see about 12v. Thanks.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay I fixed it I ended up having to put a washer behind the nut on the battery cable. The cable was tight couldn't be moved by hand and the nut was also tight just apparently not tight enough. The washer on the other hand fixed that. I just got a little freaked out with all the clicking and dome light flashing.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is the little things that drive you crazy. I have seen this one a couple of times on other vehicles.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay I fixed it I ended up having to put a washer behind the nut on the battery cable. The cable was tight couldn't be moved by hand and the nut was also tight just apparently not tight enough. The washer on the other hand fixed that. I just got a little freaked out with all the clicking and dome light flashing.

GREAT ;tu ;) Glad you got'r fixed.

Last edited:

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gotta love what a loose battery cable can do to any electrically controlled vehicle. I had a terminal for a ground cable on a toyota split couldn't see it until a friend of mine towed the truck home and grabbed the cable and pulled it off.:nutkick:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firgured I would post my similar issue here. My truck runs fine, but then recently the truck will not start on 3 occasions and requires a jump. once jumped its fine. The battery was checked and they say its good, and just last week I drove to louisiana and back, 4hours each way. When it doesnt start I usually get clicking when I try to crack, and the first time it got even weaker.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firgured I would post my similar issue here. My truck runs fine, but then recently the truck will not start on 3 occasions and requires a jump. once jumped its fine. The battery was checked and they say its good, and just last week I drove to louisiana and back, 4hours each way. When it doesnt start I usually get clicking when I try to crack, and the first time it got even weaker.

Clean up the Battery cable connections REAL GOOD. Have Each Battery load tested >Individually< (isolated from eachother). If one is bad ? Replace both.

The now & then No start, and clicking, smacks of Dirty cable connections :dunno

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58