Help Needed No start when cold

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is a little follow up after the symptoms are still present. I took the truck to my mechanic (who is a powerstroke tech) this morning after another round of hard/no starts. He found the FICM is bad and several injectors are toast. I am now waiting on an adjuster from the company I have an extended warranty through (AUL) to come out and approve the repairs. If the warranty does not cover the repairs, I am up the creek without a paddle and will probably sell the truck as is and just get whatever I can for it. ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im having the same problems, started last year 05 starts right up if plugged in but anything under 40deg. it wont start at all, never had this problem in years past and always use 1540 motorcraft oil and have always been consistent. this year has been the worst, I can start it and drive to work but after sitting most of the day its a nostart or hard start if not plugged in. I cant see it being the oil if it worked in the last 9 years, im up to 120,000 miles anything else I should be looking at? im thinking glowplugs are fine since it starts fine with above 40 temps and it just fine after starting from being heated.

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine ended up being the fuel injection control module (ficm) not putting out enough volts to fire the injectors. My injectors also needed a good cleaning. After the ficm was replaced and injectors cleaned I was rockin and rolling.

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ended up being the fuel injection control module (ficm) not putting out enough volts to fire the injectors. My injectors also needed a good cleaning. After the ficm was replaced and injectors cleaned I was rockin and rolling.

Did it show a code? Mine runs fine just doesn't start when it's cold and not plugged in

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was showing a code. The mechanic had to check the voltage coming from the ficm. This is one of the common problems with the 6.0 and it is most likely gonna be the issue. You can google or you tube how to do it. It is not very complicated to check if u have a little mechanical knowledge.

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would tend to think if the ficm is operating correctly, then it could be something with the glow plugs. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58