No turbo?!?!

Max Power

Reaction score
This morning I took my dad to the airport with his 03 6.0L. We get on to the highway after a short (1/4 mile) drive through town. I'm driving and I get up to speed (70mph), shifts seemed to be at higher revs the usual but what really concerned me is the turbo was barking. I slowed down and it helped but still barked constantly. Almost like a coughing or sneezing sound over and over. I am pretty certain it is turbo bark.

So we decide to keep driving it since the dealer is useless so the best way to get it fixed is for whatever is causing the problem to quit completely. We make the 60 mile journey and then I have to drive 10 or so miles into the city. Well in the city the truck had NO power. I could not hear any turbo whistle at all but there was no smoke either. I dropped him off at the airport and made the journey home.

All the way home the truck acted flawlessly!

So now if I take it to the dealer they will not be able to find the problem.

48,000kms, edge Juice, 4" cat back. Otherwise stock.

To me it feels like the turbo vanes are stuck or something causing the turbo not to make any boost. The thing that confuses me is no black smoke. I'm thinking that if the 6.0L has no boost it will not fuel enough to smoke black, does that make sense?

Any help would be great as I said, the dealer is useless so I need to pre-diagnose.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Might possibly be the VGT actuator or control valve but without running a scan for DTC's I'm just guessing:confused:

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely you will be gettin a new turbo. my neighbor and one of my best friends 6.0s did the exact same thing. the neighbor has been through 3 turbos and my friend is on his 2nd.

ATV1LI

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check the plastic pipe thet goes from the intercooler to the air cleaner, it says tourqe to 12 nm, I had loosen up & act very similar till it poped off & I lost all power. It also put a small ding in the hood from the bolt of the clamp. Just something to check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58