Help Needed not charging, no dash except for battery and abs light

03superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so battery light came on, checked the voltage was down to 12.69 running, swapped out the alternator voltage jumped to 13.5, a week later its down to 11.4 and my dash cut out, the windows dont work, fan only blows on low and the battery, abs, and air bag lights are on. bad alternator? bad battery?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
check the connectors on the alternator for splayed connectors and heat damage

wiggle them and make sure you don't have one broken inside the insulation

take the batteries out and have them charged and tested.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the plug on the alternator and put 2 brand new batteries in. Sits at 11.89 volts at idle.

I'm think'n it's time for >2< new Batteries.. then check the Voltage out-put. If it's still less than 14v..the Alternator has gone south.

Joe

Was the "swapped out" Alternator New ?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Charging issue

Do yourself a favor and pull the alternator to have it tested first before you exchange it. Make sure it's on the machine correctly like wired in your truck. If it tests good and the batteries are new, all connectors are ok then you should check all the fuses then get a wiring diagram and locate the fusible links. Check and replace if necassary. I just fixed my buddies gas job f250 yesterday. He ended up replacing everything for a bad fusible link. Dont over complicate it, you need dc voltage in to create the ac voltage, then it gets rectified back into dc for the trucks use. Good luck and keep trucking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58