Nothing yet...

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Maxtor, you can order a truck with the banks system. That the only one the dealer will sell. I just looked at 3 trucks here at 1 of 4 dealers that sell them and there new trucks. This is a dealer set up deal only. Dealer installs everything and being dealer in stalled it the warranty is fine.

This is the type of thing that I keep telling everyone who posts about being afraid of "losing warranty". Heck, the service manager at my dealership drives an F250 with a Superchips tuner...and TALKS ABOUT IT!!!

A lot of what you read on here is HYPERBOLE! Many of the Ford dealerships sell/install multiple brands of tuners themselves!

A dealer will fix your truck, no matter what, if they can find a way to get paid by the warranty corp. Why would they risk selling you a future truck over something that they could have made happen under warranty???

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya kenholl.

When my 7.3 was still under warranty, My Dealer didn't have a problem at all doing Warranty work, with the Mods I had done. I was up-front with them about them, they could see and understand that I had only let inhale & exhale better and hadn't done anything >extreme< to Fuel Mapping. Just made it run more efficiently.

Again.. It's finding the Right Dealer.

Heck.. I did some of my Mods, to the Service Managers 02, in 03, at his request, after he test drove mine after some warranty work, he was impressed with the way my 2K, sounded and ran. :dunno

He has since, steered some 7.3 Mod business, my way.;tu

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the SCT, if you leave your truck tuned it will be detected (duh) but if you set it back to stock before you take it in, it will set a "hidden" code that does not turn on the engine light. However, this code is the same one you get for disconnecting the batteries for any length of time. It has something to do with the computer erasing the history from itself (can't remember the exact number or description at the moment). This code will clear itself after several driving cycles, after the computer has re-learned everything.

So the over all answer to the question "can a tuner be detected" as far as I know, is no. But there are several items that can lead a dealer to suspect one has been and therefore give probable cause. Such as the memory code, a few connectors cleaner than the others (meaning they have been tapered with by means of an external box), sensors installed for gauges, etc. I know on the 7.3s dealers would look at the pins on the computer to see if they were extra clean to tell if a chip was plugged in. It's a risk you take if you want to tune your truck.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the "flavor" of this topic, it sounded to me as tho a member wants Just A Little More out of his 6.0. For a Long, Cross Country trip. It Can be Done.

You just have to find the right Ford Garage. Thats All.

Exactly, unfortunately, or local dealer is not user friendly.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers are like a consignment shop. They hold the ford name and pay for it and are given guide lines to follow. The dealers can tune and lift the truck at there cost not fords. This is a really big gray area dealer like to play in.

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just called two dealerships that sell power adders, and they both told me that there is nothing out there now that the Ford Service Departments could not trace. They both said to keep it stock until the warranty runs out. One did say that a programmer out of Italy had a program for Dodge that is not traceable.
He said that it is not available for Ford yet.
It would be nice to have an extra 50 to 60 hp for pulling up grades, but not worth loosing the warranty.

My friend is actually a ford inspector. Only about 10% of ford inspectors will ever be able to tell if you have a programmer on the truck. My truck had its head gaskest blown, and needed new rod and piston, and they warrantied the truck. The only way a ford inspector will ever come out if the dealer goes over there spending limit. It always depends on the dealer ship and how big they are. Some have a spending limit of 10,000 before a inspector comes out to void your warranty. And even if one does come out 90% chance your warranty wont get voided especially if you just set the truck back to stock with the programmer... :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the SCT, if you leave your truck tuned it will be detected (duh) but if you set it back to stock before you take it in, it will set a "hidden" code that does not turn on the engine light. However, this code is the same one you get for disconnecting the batteries for any length of time. It has something to do with the computer erasing the history from itself (can't remember the exact number or description at the moment). This code will clear itself after several driving cycles, after the computer has re-learned everything.

So the over all answer to the question "can a tuner be detected" as far as I know, is no. But there are several items that can lead a dealer to suspect one has been and therefore give probable cause. Such as the memory code, a few connectors cleaner than the others (meaning they have been tapered with by means of an external box), sensors installed for gauges, etc. I know on the 7.3s dealers would look at the pins on the computer to see if they were extra clean to tell if a chip was plugged in. It's a risk you take if you want to tune your truck.

The above is why a "Programmer/Tuner/Scanner" might be the way to go, for some.

Reprogramming/retuning the PCM, thru the DIN plug under the Dash, leaves No >Visual< signs of modification.

5 minutes of following a few Prompts to Tune in a little Power, or re-setting back to Stock for a Dealer visit is a nice feature, IMO.

Last edited:

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my 2cents/input/ser.mgr. said so input:
he told me TO put a 4" exhaust and chip/tuner in it. he said they install predator. told him i wanted sct and he said he would just like to see the programs before he would sign off on it. kinda told him what 3 i wanted and said it did not sound like no big deal. i just need to come up w/ the scratch.....

maxtor: the possible better solution would be to move out of cali.....hahah

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a local dealer down here sells athe SCT and banks programers. You do need to buy and have that dealer install the tuner not to void your warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14