Help Needed OBD Code P0683

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Tryin to get my truck smogged and it failed do to this error code. When I use my code reader it says "Code P0683 Glow Plug Control".
Anyone know what this is and how to fix it. Kinda behind the 8ball here. Really hoping this is something you all have heard of and have a fix for. My other option is to go to Ford and let them have their way with me :eek:.

Thanks

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
here you go ;)
P0683 - GPCM Glow Plug Control Module Communication Line Failure.
Same possible causes as above.
I just replaced my GPCM after living with P0683 for about 6 months. I had no adverse effects. The glow plugs cycled and it started no problem, even in the cold of Lake Tahoe in December. I began by tracing wires from the GPCM and figuring out what voltages etc are supposed to be present. When I could not find any obviously damaged wires and the UVC harness checked out, I replaced the GPCM and that did it. Since these two codes are related, you might want to look at the GPCM.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm not sure California Ex's had a glow plug RELAY.. IIRC, they used a solid state glow plug controller, sounds like you need to do some volt-meter stuff..

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses folks. I have a GPCM being shipped to me already. Cross your fingers for me that this solves the problem or my next stop is ford with a bottle of lube.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
All good now. New GPCM and no more codes. Past smog. Prolly one of the easiest jobs I've taken on with this truck. Right on top of the motor 2 nuts, 2 plugs, done. I think it took me longer to get my tools out and put them away than it did to do the work.

Thanks folks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58