OEM back up camera

danno

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
factory camera question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 08 F450 with the factory camera, which I really like.

My question is we haul a 11'-6" slide-in camper therefore the tail gate must be removed which leaves us with no camera!

The camper has a alpine camera already on it, so my question is "IF" I could come up with the correct connector plug to match the ford plug would this camera work with the factory mirror monitor? And which wire is which???

One problem I see is ford uses five wires in there harness were as alpine uses four.

Any ideas?:dunno

Dan

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I got it to work only using four wires. Power, Ground, Video +, and Video -. The fifth is a shield wire.

For the connector at the bottom of the tailgate, this is what I got figured out:

Pin 1 White/Brown: Power
Pin 2 White/Green: Video+
Pin 3 Purple: Video-
Pin 4 Black: Shield
Pin 5 Black/White: Ground

I cut the connector off and used a 4pin trailer connector. I soldered all of the connections and folded the shield wire back into the loom. I soldered the Video+ to the center pin of an RCA connector and the Video - to the outer ring of the RCA connector. I am still looking for a cheap monitor so if anyone can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

Scott

danno

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got it to work only using four wires. Power, Ground, Video +, and Video -. The fifth is a shield wire.

For the connector at the bottom of the tailgate, this is what I got figured out:

Pin 1 White/Brown: Power
Pin 2 White/Green: Video+
Pin 3 Purple: Video-
Pin 4 Black: Shield
Pin 5 Black/White: Ground

I cut the connector off and used a 4pin trailer connector. I soldered all of the connections and folded the shield wire back into the loom. I soldered the Video+ to the center pin of an RCA connector and the Video - to the outer ring of the RCA connector. I am still looking for a cheap monitor so if anyone can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

Scott

Wow thats good news Scott!:hail
The plug does not bother me much, I figured I would try and find the exact plug or go with a weatherpac (you can get at Napa) plug and make the truck, tailgate and camper all match.

How would I figure out which wire is which like you did for the camera?

Dan

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Dan, I found the old plug in the trash. I only left about an inch of wire hanging out of the connector. If you want it, I will send it to you. You would just need to figure out what each of the 4 wires do on the trailer camera and then wire them to the correct wires on the factory connector.

As far as figuring out what wire does what on your trailer camera, I just sort of guessed and used a meter to figure out what wires went to ground. I hooked the video up to the TV in the garage and jumpered power from the car. What does the Alpine connectors look like? Also find out if the camera is NTCS compliant.(some sort of tech geek standard sort of like SAE or metric)

Scott

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
$500 shipped. I found it using car-parts.com. Mine has the camera and step. Non-step tailgates are a little cheaper.

Last edited:

danno

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dan, I found the old plug in the trash. I only left about an inch of wire hanging out of the connector. If you want it, I will send it to you. You would just need to figure out what each of the 4 wires do on the trailer camera and then wire them to the correct wires on the factory connector.

As far as figuring out what wire does what on your trailer camera, I just sort of guessed and used a meter to figure out what wires went to ground. I hooked the video up to the TV in the garage and jumpered power from the car. What does the Alpine connectors look like? Also find out if the camera is NTCS compliant.(some sort of tech geek standard sort of like SAE or metric)

Scott

I would like to have that plug but it sounds like it is the one coming "from" the truck, I would need the tail gate side.

The Alpine connector looks very close to the round plug you would find on a computer keyboard, but not idenical.

You know I read further down this post and see you bought your 08 gate from someone other than a dealer, which makes me wonder maybe I should look for a used factory camera:sly which would include the camera, cable and connector then all I have to do is lenghten the cable assy.

Dan

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
My tailgate is a new take off tailgate. The connector I cut off is from the tailgate pigtail. I also found a used rearview mirror out of an '08 truck with camera capability today. It should be here the end of the week.

Scott

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58