Oh no... Ohnoohnoohno... Guess Where I just dropped the glowplug???

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tell me I don't need to pull my motor. Please.

I went to pull a GP, and all you that have done it know how tight it is. It slipped from my fingers, went into the hole where the rocker comes out, and rattle-rattle-clanked it's way all the way... THUD... Into the oil pan.

I need pics. I THINK that the oil pan has a baffle over the top of it to keep oil from sloshing around and into the crank. I THINK the GP is sitting on top of that baffle. I need to know where the openings are in the baffle, if they are big enough to pass a GP, and there fore, be able to get it into the lower pan and either

1.) Leave it

2.) use a magnet to try and get it out the oil drain hole.

I don't know what the baffle looks like. If the drain is at the rear, I'll use a front end loader to lift the front of the truck to get it roll back tot he drain. If it is at the front, then I'll lift the rear.

Or, am I screwed and doomed to a $3,000 engine de/re at the local Ford dealer?

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
My thoughts are........... if your sure it made it to the pan.. let it lie. even if its sitting on top of a baffle it would take a lot to get it to find something that is moving. consider placing a large fridge magnet on the bottom of the pan... as it will eventually find it's way down and you will then be able to maneuver it to a position that you may be able get it out of the drain plug.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
My thoughts are........... if your sure it made it to the pan.. let it lie.

Yes...

even if its sitting on top of a baffle it would take a lot to get it to find something that is moving.

This is the part that I wasn't sure of. Is there really that much clearance between the baffle and the rotating crank? The GP is at least 1/4".

consider placing a large fridge magnet on the bottom of the pan... as it will eventually find it's way down and you will then be able to maneuver it to a position that you may be able get it out of the drain plug.

This is really what I was hoping to do. I just don't want a $3,000 engine de/re to turn into a $10,000 new engine on the off chance that the crank pics the thing up and eats it.

I think tomorrow I am going to see about tapping the pan with a hammer some to see if I can get it to rattle around. THen, possibly a concrete vibrator. Once it is on the lower pan...

I am just really terrified that there isn't enough clearance between the crank and baffle.

This year has just been a piece of poo for me. I don't know what the heck else can go wrong, but I've just about had it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
hoss-

that sux man, but don't fret it. it will be fine.

see of you can get your hands on a borescope. i got one of these from an hvac supply house- it was around $200. if you know any hvac guys, they may have one on their trucks.

TestoUSA - testo Video PRO Inspection Scope

its not bad, it all depends on the amount of ambient light. head is about 7/16". it should be able to sneak in through the oil drain hole. it comes with a little mirror that clips on the head for 90 degree views, its not very good, but its there.

but the idea is that you can poke it up through there and see what is going on.

good luck!

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man!

I can't really give you any advice, but I really hope it works out for ya.;tu

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you just drop the oil pan and fish it out with a magnet. You should not need to pull the engine to do that.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you do have to pull the motor to get the pan out. and you have to glue the pan back on with the motor upside down overnight.

are you sure there is a baffle? this is from the Truck Repair CD

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
yeah, there is a baffle. I found a pic. I'll bet a concrete vibrator on the pan would rattle it throught he hole... I'll bet...

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First post!

Incase anyone ever needs a super magnet, then look no further than a Rare Earth Magnet. These magnets are the best, when placing them on any metalic surface, be careful or they will pinch your fingertips. And when removing them, it will take two men and a boy to tear it off!

Hope this helps.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Incase anyone ever needs a super magnet, then look no further than a Rare Earth Magnet. These magnets are the best, when placing them on any metalic surface, be careful or they will pinch your fingertips. And when removing them, it will take two men and a boy to tear it off!

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure the pan is baffled, and I'm also pretty sure there's not a hole in the baffle large enough to accommodate a glow plug laying on it's side... aside from removing the pan bolts, cutting the old sealant with a piece of piano wire, fishing the glow plug out and gooping sealant back on the pan and bolting it in place for 24hrs before driving;

I'd have to advise putting a whamma-jamma magnet on the SIDE of the oil pan and holding it out of the way...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14