Question Oil Consumption

JRJ04

Reaction score
So I've notied my truck is using oil. No leaks at all. Everything in the motor is dry around the HPOP, HPOP lines, Valve Covers etc. I change the oil every 5k, and when I do, I ensure that the level is at the top of the full mark. I'm getting close to changing it, and I am now almost at the bottom of the "normal operating range." Now, I know that some oil consumption is normal for these trucks b/c of blowby etc, but I have a theory here...

I've still got the issue of revving it and having it "hiccup" and belch out blue/white smoke. And you can tell that it happens when the chip is off, but just not as pronounced. In any case, where you would normally see a "soot" buildup on the back bumper that you can wipe away with your finger (which is what I always had until I had the injectors replaced), I now have a discolored bumper that has a oily residue. You can tell its oil cause right where the exhaust blows out, the bumper looks like a rainbow!

So, ever since I've had these injectors replaced (#1,5,7) the truck just hasnt been the same. I know its not chip cause I can replicate the problem without it (just not as pronounced), and I have read before that if an injector is out of whack, it can cause oil consumption. In the past, it has passed the contribution test, and I was told short of replacing all injectors, its gonna be tough to find. I had the orings replaced a few months ago, but didnt see an improvement.

Your thoughts?

***On edit: Also forgot to mention that EGT's just have been higher than normal as well...makes me think its buring too much of something?

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you could use a CCV filter and capture the blowby, and run it back to your engine. That's what I do. That will eliminate one oil loss path...Just an idea.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well, you could use a CCV filter and capture the blowby, and run it back to your engine. That's what I do. That will eliminate one oil loss path...Just an idea.

True...and that would be helpful, but i've got something bigger going on here. I dont think the blowby was ever enough to cause the level the dipstick to move though

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're getting oil out the tailpipe it is most likely from the turbo and failing oil seals there :( If you're getting oil in the cylinders it'll get burned the hiccup in the running is likely unrelated to the oil that is unless your valve seals are leaking and oil is dripping down the valve stems into the intake & exhaust.

To check the turbo pull the downpipe off if it's oily (it likely is if the tailpipe is oily) then pull the collector on the back and see if it is oily if not then you found the source of your tailpipe oil

JRJ04

Reaction score
i highly doubt its the turbo as it was just replaced about 10k ago. I had this problem before the turbo went south, and when the brand new turbo went in, nothing changed at all.

shaft is nice and tight last i checked. no one thinks this is an injector?

JRJ04

Reaction score
To check the turbo pull the downpipe off if it's oily (it likely is if the tailpipe is oily) then pull the collector on the back and see if it is oily if not then you found the source of your tailpipe oil

not following you...can you explain more?

thanks!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things to think about here JR:

1. Your "Hiccup" is not as pronounced when the Chip is off. (still there though)

2. You only replaced 3... of 8.. injectors. (O rings & seals on those 3, and their compatability with the other 5)

:dunno

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
agreed.

1. that tells me its not a tunig issue because it happens with no chip, and that makes sense...chip on = more fuel, more oil pressure etc.

2. true, but all seals/o-rings were replaced on all 8 injectors when the turbo was redone.

i cant imagine that those injectors being different ages would be causing oil to be burned out of the tailpipe.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed.

1. that tells me its not a tunig issue because it happens with no chip, and that makes sense...chip on = more fuel, more oil pressure etc.

2. true, but all seals/o-rings were replaced on all 8 injectors when the turbo was redone.

[i cant imagine that those injectors being different ages] would be causing oil to be burned out of the tailpipe.

Injectors of different ages (time, miles and use) CAN make a difference JR.

Kinda like 1 new tire, new rings & valves in 4 of 8 cylinders ?

JMO maybe ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58