Question Oil Consumption

JRJ04

Reaction score
yeah and you said this did this before the three injectors got replaced rite?

no. prior to the 3 injectors being replaced, it ran like a top.

shortly after they were replaced, i noticed this issue, and it has been there ever since (which has been 2 years)

JRJ04

Reaction score
something i just thought of...

I shimmed the fpr a while back...had it right around 70 (i think just a hair under). i cant remember when i did all this...seems like it might have been after the injectors had been replaced, but i really dont know.

is there a chance that the fuel pressure being tweaked at all could be the cause of this? i mean...i really dont know for sure if its fuel or oil that is coming out unburnt. my guess was oil since the level is down.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something i just thought of...

I shimmed the fpr a while back...had it right around 70 (i think just a hair under). i cant remember when i did all this...seems like it might have been after the injectors had been replaced, but i really dont know.

is there a chance that the fuel pressure being tweaked at all could be the cause of this? i mean...i really dont know for sure if its fuel or oil that is coming out unburnt. my guess was oil since the level is down.

If yer FP is still at, or near 70... IMO.. yer good.

CC Oil consumption is up, you had mentioned Blue smoke... Blue smoke is almost alwayz.. Oil, oil vapor. Some of the vapor blows through (blue smoke).. some of it condenses In the exhaust .. and causes the "Wet" tip (?)

JRJ04

Reaction score
If yer FP is still at, or near 70... IMO.. yer good.

CC Oil consumption is up, you had mentioned Blue smoke... Blue smoke is almost alwayz.. Oil, oil vapor. Some of the vapor blows through (blue smoke).. some of it condenses In the exhaust .. and causes the "Wet" tip (?)

well when you say wet...im assuming you dont meaing dripping right? cause thats not the case...its dry, just can tell there's some sort of oily residue.

could i theoritically disconnect each injector at a time and start the truck up, rev it, and see if i get any changes? would disconnecting it do anything or does it have to be pulled?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when you say wet...im assuming you dont meaing dripping right? cause thats not the case...its dry, just can tell there's some sort of oily residue.

could i theoritically disconnect each injector at a time and start the truck up, rev it, and see if i get any changes? would disconnecting it do anything or does it have to be pulled?

No, not dripping "wet". Dry black soot is okay. Oily black soot is not so good.

JMO JR but if yer guna pull the VC's.. you may as well pull all the injectors.. one by one and inspect all the seals/O rings... and maybe even have all 8 injectors pressure tested, for being on equal specs.... As a set of 8 ?

OR... Maybe live with it.. 'til after the Holidays ?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
id say you would be able to smell at the exhaust tip if it was unburnt fuel or oil. if its oil then I could bet on someone cut a o ring when installing the new injectors. buy a kit for all eight and re-install all 8. :coffee

if its fuel then maybe you might want to re-do the shim mod.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes you can unplug a single injector and see if there is a difference. There is a diagnostic tool for the pros that plugs into the engine harness and allows you to at the flip of a switch kill the signal going to the injectors. My mind is not working correctly right now so I'm wanting to call it a kill box or switch box, but neither sounds quite right, maybe cutout box. They are possible to build yourself but take a bit of time & $$.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yes you can unplug a single injector and see if there is a difference. There is a diagnostic tool for the pros that plugs into the engine harness and allows you to at the flip of a switch kill the signal going to the injectors. My mind is not working correctly right now so I'm wanting to call it a kill box or switch box, but neither sounds quite right, maybe cutout box. They are possible to build yourself but take a bit of time & $$.

I think breakout box is what you are referring to?

iracemine, I had all the o-rings done when my turbo was replaced back in April. The problem was there both before and after the o-rings were replaced. It smells like fuel...but how do I know its not a mix of oil and fuel?

Joe, I'd love to pull the injectors, but I dont know of anyone who has the capability to test them...and on top of that...I don't feel comfortable pulling them...just a turkey i dont wanna tackle!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Brandon & iracemine sez are your good TS options... but I hear ya about pulling the injectors too.

I go with Brandon also, about a cut O ring ?

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
What Brandon & iracemine sez are your good TS options... but I hear ya about pulling the injectors too.

I go with Brandon also, about a cut O ring ?

Joe

cut o ring once...sure, I'll buy it...but having a cut one again, AND not seeing any change when all o-rings were replaced...its suspect to me.

on the fuel pressure...given my symptoms...would you think it points to too much or too little fuel pressure?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14