oil cooler removal & install

dialedin86

dialedin86
Reaction score
I removed the oil cooler and now it's a b#### to get back in.
do you have to remove the exhaust manifold???
95 P/S. any suggestions be great!

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Experience has taught me :dizzy that oil cooler service on the PSD REQUIRES you to remove the front neck---it connects the cooler to the front cover--

And no, you do not have to remove the exh mnfld.......

I say this because when I serviced the cooler on my '96 a year or so back, I did not remove the front neck and looking back----it cost me a front cover and pulling the engine TWICE!:rant :doh:

It was a small crack that dripped coolant so after removing the eng/pan/front cover, I cleaned out the crack and plugged the ends, flooded it with argon gas {to remove any residual oxy} and attached a plate to maintain flatness....then tig weleded the crack. After removing the extras, I could see the weld penetrated completly, even to the point of using a dremel to smooth the inside.

After re-assembling and installing the eng, the front cover to oil cooler actually ruptured :doh: at the oil passage and hemmoriged all the oil out with the expected low oil shutdown thereby saving any major metal damage.

here's pics of the resulting crack from trying to install the cooler nundle without removing the front neck from the front cover---VERY simple to remove...just a couple bolts ...yes I am :idiot:

first pic is the crack...other two are the results after running for 1/2 hr
Never really understood why the oil side burst tho :dunno

BUT a big ATTABOY to Rich- 94f450sd who supplied me the nesc parts to repair my Foxtrot Uniform :hail: :cheers: Rich!

Learn from my mistakes ;)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58