oil dip stick leaking at oil pan

wilson61

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1999 on the oil pan there is a large nut on a brass looking part that the tube goes into. how is that sealed to the pan? how do i stop it from leaking

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a replacment piece for the Bolt that Brass piece needs to be repleaced.

I think it was Bryan that pulled his off abd beat it back out flat and smooth.

wilson61

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry i not understand . how can i replace the brass part without pulling the pan. the repair manual doesnt show how it is put together . thanks for the quick come back

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Scar13 said:
Go buy a replacment piece for the Bolt that Brass piece needs to be repleaced.

I think it was Bryan that pulled his off abd beat it back out flat and smooth.

Me? I don't know what your talking about?

Wilson are you absolutely sure thats where its coming from? It could possibly be coming from the tube itself, at the top, overflowing then running down the tube? If it is coming from there, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure it involves removing the pan though. Before I did that I would, if I was sure that was the source, I would drain the oil, spray the entire area down with acetone, scrub the best I could with some sort of brush. then I would try coating the seems with a good gasket maker.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am the confussed one then ( thats not new )

I was thinking the bolt on the bottom of the oil pan you use to drain the oil and the brass ring that is there..

Sorry!

guzzle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
wilson61 said:
1999 on the oil pan there is a large nut on a brass looking part that the tube goes into. how is that sealed to the pan? how do i stop it from leaking
Been lurking here for a little while. Seems like a pretty nice place...
I had a little bit of seepage and with a pair of channel lock pliers, was able to tighten the nut about 1/2 turn. Cleaned off the seepage with solvent and it's been dry for a while. I suppose if the seal is real bad, you could back off the nut and get a rag with solvent between the pan and nut, clean it up, apply hi-temp RTV, tighten, let sit overnight to cure.

EDIT: I did read a post that someone tried to tighten this nut, went the wrong way and the base fell into the pan. Musta had the dipstick pulled off to do that. Anyway, had a real mess then, trying to fish it back out in such a tight location.

Last edited:

wilson61

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:thanks to all i had tightened the nut and slowed it down but it still is comming out around the nut so when ///that is a big when///it warms up i guess i pull the starter and get some room and see how big a mess i can make with some kind of sealer from the outside. i will be clamping onto the parts so i dont have to go fishing. thanks for the feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14