Oil Dipstick Broke

Scotgun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i just bought an 05 CC SDD and last night when I had my edge programmer installed the guy noticed the dipstick was broke. I called my dealer today to order one and he said their have been issues with these engines getting back pressure forcing the dipstick up and breaking them. Is this true or are they trying to get money out of me?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id expect this to be covered under the 3/36...
ive got 50k miles on my 04 & im on the original dipstick...

1st ive heard of anything like this...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there's enough pressure to break a steel tube off I'd be looking at rings or a head gasket. I can't see this being "normal" on any engine. Might have a plugged PCV or breather. That being the case, I'd expect to see oil all over the place, and or a pretty good consumption of oil by combustion. But to answer your question, I've never heard of it or seen it on any of the message boards...

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
On my 03 the dipstick broke. I don't know if exactly what kind of breakage you have on yours. On mine the plastic pull handle pulled off of the metal dipstick. Must have been some problem with glue or something. The handle pulls up and out and then I have to grab the dipstick by hand and pull out.

Trapper

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know now that you say that i recall some others reporting this
problem early on (thought it was limited to 03's and maybe early
04's)

what color is the bottom (measurement part) of youre broken
dip stick...seems there was a change from black tips to gray...again
ive had the same one since new w/out issue.

Scotgun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Where the dip stick comes to a T it is broken of about a 1/4 of an in from the top. The T is black in color. To me it looks as if someone didn't put the stick it in all the way and when the hood got shut it broke the plastic tubing where it seals. The Dipstick is still intact it just doesn't enclose it so the pressure is causing it to spit some oil out of the opening.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thats different.
i recall hearing the T'd end coming off (all sticks have black T's)
some had black measurment bits on the end. (mines gray).

any dents or scratches in the hood ?

Scotgun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
their are no dents in the hood. I think it's just one of those weak plastic pieces that happened to crack and break. I haven't noticed anything wrong with performance or oil pres.

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my dipstick. The handle part just came off. Had to pull the rest of it out with a pair of pliers. I thought maybe it was due to all that heat building up inside of the engine compartment or maybe they just don't make them like they used to. Anyways, took it to the dealership and they put a new one in free of charge. Truck still under warranty, by the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14