Help Needed Oil filter cap split open

Redrig

Rig Monkey...
Reaction score
Hey gang, I have an issue with my 05 6.0l, the other day I was driving over to the folks place, about a 2 min drive, I made it a block away from the house, when I heard a nasty sound...kinda sounded like the turbo grenaded, the truck died, pulled over, jumped out to see what the prob was...the truck puke out about 12L of motor oil on to the ground, popped the hood and found that my oil filter cap split open and purged the oil out. picked up a new cap and filter, added some oil, it still makes that noise, even worse when its in gear and I just barely touch the throttle...

...any thoughts? :dunno

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Geez Man!! What a catastrophy. I haven't heard this one before. Did a little piece of your Turbo "grenade" and break open the oil filter cap? External or Internal seems to be the question. Everything look o.k inside the filter housing? Broken spring/bypass in the stand? I'm anxious to hear about this one.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the oil filter an OEM or aftermarket filter/cap combo? To me, it sounds like it could be something in the HPOP.

Redrig

Rig Monkey...
Reaction score
no the turbo is still good, the oil filter is the one piece design, cap and filter together, I had to go back to work (in camp) shortly after it happened, so I havent had a chance to really take a good look at things, I'll post more when I know more....I sure hope its not the high pressure pump, that will be a pretty big bill...

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i have cracked a few filter caps as well went to a billet one to solve that problem..have you checkd all the clamps on the boots and intake? mine made a weird sound like that one time soon after i installed my boost gauge and i had forgotten to tighen the clamp back onthe intake elbow or maybe it was just a turbo fart?? keep us posted

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
i have cracked a few filter caps as well went to a billet one to solve that problem..have you checkd all the clamps on the boots and intake? mine made a weird sound like that one time soon after i installed my boost gauge and i had forgotten to tighen the clamp back onthe intake elbow or maybe it was just a turbo fart?? keep us posted
A few? I don't understand this problem. Are you guys over tightening and torqueing the top of the filter cap top to the breaking point? I have 7 years and 22 oil filter changes on mine and the cap looks like new. Did the caps get made differently/cheaper after 03'?

Reaction score
If you use the square hole they have a tendency to crack which is why i use that big socket that fits the bottom fuel filter.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is the reason that I went with the 36mm socket, as well. You look at the insides of the square drive and you will see stress marks where the drive and the socket meet.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I get it now. I've always used the socket so never had the problem. Good for all to know. Thanks Dave.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few? I don't understand this problem. Are you guys over tightening and torqueing the top of the filter cap top to the breaking point? I have 7 years and 22 oil filter changes on mine and the cap looks like new. Did the caps get made differently/cheaper after 03'?

;tu fordoor

Not Bashing anyone here guyz but.... 90% of the time.. TIGHTER is Not Better.

(don't ask me how I've learned that thru the years. The list would be to long;):lmao)

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58