Help Needed Oil filter cap split open

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
When I first got the truck, I took it in for the first oil change (free) and the tech marked the top and the side of the housing with a paint mark so you could see that it was tight and not over or under tightened. Firm but not tight. The o-ring does the sealing and not how much pressure you put in the top. Big Joe is right; TIGHTER is Not Better.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on this ? I've Indexed.. or Marked almost everything on my truck & car that needs or gets.. routin or required, mantenence.

I used a colored Sharpie, a Scribe or a small Chisel to make a mark, scribe or notch where I know it's Just tight enough to not come loose, or leak.

It's taken a few tweaks to find all the Sweet Spots, but it sure makes doing maintenance or repair ALOT easier. Done the same after Mods too.

Do the Work, Torque it to the value (if it has one), Start it, Tweak it if need be, Mark it.

:dunno

Joe

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i normally change my own oil but a few times when i was working on the road on shut down jobs esp in MN and WI i opted to not lay in the snow to change it so took it to the shop thats when mine broke ...yeah the socket is great after trying to get the frame rail filter off the first time i went out and bought one

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58