Oil gurus - a question

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you may or may not have read in my thread on manual hubs, I found the pinion nut on my rear axle (Dana 80) was loose and had ruined the seal. After repairs were completed I put in the appropriate friction modifier and topped up the diff. with 75W-140 syn. gear lube (took over a qt.).

Those sharper eyed individuals among us may have already noticed, that's not what's called for. I didn't realize this until I went to top up the front diff. and read the specs. According to my Haynes manual, both front and rear take 75W-90 syn.

So here's my question. Will using the higher viscosity lube cause any damage to the axles?:dunno

Thanks.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
Ford has been using 75w140 for years in the rear diffs. front diffs call for 75w90(or 80w90)....there should have been a tag on rear diff that will say what grade of fluid(gear oil) to use....

there is a slight chance, since your truck is a dually(dana 80),it might call for something different....you will be fine with what you have in there

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
As some of you may or may not have read in my thread on manual hubs, I found the pinion nut on my rear axle (Dana 80) was loose and had ruined the seal. After repairs were completed I put in the appropriate friction modifier and topped up the diff. with 75W-140 syn. gear lube (took over a qt.).

Those sharper eyed individuals among us may have already noticed, that's not what's called for. I didn't realize this until I went to top up the front diff. and read the specs. According to my Haynes manual, both front and rear take 75W-90 syn.

So here's my question. Will using the higher viscosity lube cause any damage to the axles?:dunno

Thanks.

I just looked the spec up
it's 75W140 GL5 synthetic
UNLESS
it's a Dana 135
in which case, it's GL5 80W90

so, you're good to go

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was concerned that running the higher viscosity lube in the winter might have caused a problem.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Been Running Valvoline 75-140 syn for almost 300,000 miles.... Washington, Idaho, Montana winters... fortunately it doesn't get cold...... :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14