Help Needed Oil in the Valley and on the Ground!

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I happened to look in my garage this morning and saw an oil puddle on the ground. I got to looking, and it looks like there is a considerable amount of blowby oil on the driver's side Y-pipe donut coming up off the turbo. I havent had a chance to look at it closely, but from what I could tell, it was not my HPX line.

I talked to Jody at DP Tuner, and he said that oil should not be coming of out of that donut gasket. He initially thought my turbo could be messed up, but after i told him i can pull boost no problem, he seemed to think it could be some sort of high pressure line?

I need help bad here!!! Can i keep driving it and just watch it until i can get it fixed?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The first things I would check are the pedestal o-rings and the actuator for the EBPV.

There are 4 o-rings total. Two between the block and pedestal and two more between the pedestal and turbo.

The EBPV actuator is the push/pull rod that opens and closes the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. The EBPV is on the exhaust side of the turbo. It closes off the exhaust downpipe to warm up the engine faster. The actuator is part of the turbo pedestal. It uses engine oil as hydraulic pressure to move the actuator rod in/out. Internally it has o-rings that act like piston rings. What some have done is to wire the EBPV open and cut off the EBPV actuator rod. That lets you tap the hole with a pipe thread tap and install a pipe thread plug, permanently stopping any EBPV leak. But make sure you unplug the wire connector for the EBPV at the turbo pedestal. When the EBPV is actuated, it reduces oil going to the turbo bearings. So if it deactivated, unplugging the wire prevents reduced lube to the turbo bearings.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I dont want to gut the ebpv, because I actally use it for warmup in the winter (when it gets what I call cold in TX!!) Are the o-rings inside the donuts on the Y-pipe? Will I just be looking for seepage from where the turbo mates up with the engine?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Well I dont want to gut the ebpv, because I actally use it for warmup in the winter (when it gets what I call cold in TX!!) Are the o-rings inside the donuts on the Y-pipe? Will I just be looking for seepage from where the turbo mates up with the engine?

Is the oil actually coming out of the up-pipes at the point where they connect to the "Y" collector (Baby's Butt)? Or is the oil just dripping onto the up-pipe from another source? If you have oil coming out of the up-pipe, then you have a serious problem.

If you have oil in the valley, I don't see how it could get there from the up-pipe. Oil from the pedestal o-rings could conceivably get blown onto the up-pipes from a place of accumulation in the valley.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I sure hope its not coming directly out of the up-pipe. I really wasnt able to tell at quick glance. My truck would start running weird if it were coming out of there right?

JRJ04

Reaction score
Update. it looks like its coming from what is directly under the fuel bowl. HPOP? Are their o-rings on that? any seals? I think im gonna have to take this thing in.

straitcountry

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you need to get a couple cans of Brake clean and spray the whole area real good and then go drive it, start with a short drive then check. if it is the HPOP o-rings there is a kit to replace them and the IPR valve o-ring.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well its in the shop. what is located under the HPOP? that seems to be where its coming from. The dealership had said there are some cylinder plugs that could come loose. could this be it?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
damn, Jourdan..
if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58