Help Needed Oil Leak in 2000 Excursion 7.3

ptweetstraw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3 Diesel and I have an oil leak that I am having trouble pin pointing. The leak isn't terrible yet but it is causing a pretty ugly eye soar on the drive way. Does anyone have any recommendations on what it can be and maybe how hard it is going to be to locate and fix. I am a novice when it comes to fixing vehicles but I am finding that if you can read and follow directions then you can do just about anything. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First easy check is the oil filter might have vibrated loose a lil to cause some small drops in the driveway. Mine did this after 5k miles before I got to change the oil.

ptweetstraw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Checked oil filter no luck

Checked out the oil filter and no oil anywhere around it. I looked under the body of the truck and I see oil ready to drip from the area right in front of the oil pan. It looks like it is running from somewhere up top but I still can't pin point it. I am trying to avoid taking to a dealer cause they are going to hose me for just looking at it.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Is there oil in the valley of the engine?

Tbar

ptweetstraw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Saw a little oil in the valley but not much. I cleaned it all out this morning with engine bright to see if it would come back. No leak so far. Getting pretty frustrated.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dripping from the front of the Pan, are you sure it's Oil ?

Last edited:

ptweetstraw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It is kinda weird it is dripping from the housing of the transmission but I don't think that it is transmission fluid though. I am going to check my transmission fluid level and make sure. What color should the transmission fluid be? The color that is leaking dark brown. I haven't seen much of a leak since I cleaned out the engine the other day so it is throwing me for a loop.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If it is a manual tranny, it is brown oil. If it is an automatic tranny it will red. Fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive. Go to the Quick Links on the TOP BLUE LINE and click on Edit Signature. Fill it out with your year of truck and what options you have and any modifications. This will stop this kind of questions.

Dave :)

dpantazis

Reaction score
if its an Excursion, i would bet its an auto.

on 2000's, we have an inspection plate under the tranny AND if its the OEM TC, there is a plug in it. open up the inspection cover. make sure no leaks in there.

if the tranny was serviced by someone who did not know what they were doing, and they replaced the OEM pan gasket with a paper one, instead of the OEM reusable rubber one, the paper one is not hard enough to hold the seal and tranny fluid will seep out. it WILL migrate to the front of the motor and drip off the inspection cover.

DAMHIKT!

only way to know is to get under there and snug the tranny pan bolts. 10mm i think. just give them a little bit of a tweak to check if they are snug.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small Stuff here.. But if it were a manual.. and it IS a tranny leak.. it would be [Red] too.

The 6 speeds use ATF.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58