Question oil on boost tubes

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do i have oil on my boost tubes?

When I was changing my air filter today (could they make it any harder to get at??) I noticed a small puddle of oil on the engine side of the filter housing.

I went to my Ford dealer, and he told me that unless the truck throws a code, or has noticeable driveability issues they would not be able to diagnose it under the warranty program. I could take it to them and have them tear the turbo apart, but if there is no major issue Ford would not warranty the work.

So my question is..... Does anybody have an idea as to what causes this oil buildup / leak, and is it a precursor to my Turbo blowing up?

:dunno

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much.A certain amount of oil residue is common. I read in an old thread that apparently in time oil can migrate through the boot itself. Is it coming from the boot or elsewhere?I would clean it up and try to pinpoint the spot, then go from there. How's your boost pressure/power?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck finding the source of leak?

The Short of it ?

Oily vapors are are drawn from the crank case thru the CCV into the intake. If enough vapor collects in the intake to form drops.. gravity does the rest. (can even be: angle when parked)

Ford/IH will say a small amount is/can be, "Normal". What is a Small Amount ? And what is Normal ? :dunno

But......because the oil is on the Intake (suction) side of the Turbo (?) I wouldn't think the Turbo is going south, just yet.

About all that can be done is.. Keep an eye on it.. and watch for Oil Consumption, Smoke and Perfomance related issues.

I'm a 7.3 guy but.. Oil in the boost tubes Is.. Oil in the boost tubes.

Last edited:

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe,

I did actually notice smoke when I was stopped at a red light the other day. It looked to me like unburnt fuel (black) but it might have been a little blue. My fuel economy has dropped off a little bit as well.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not going to get black smoke from oil in the tubes... sounds like an EGR related issue. Have you ever cleaned it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not going to get black smoke from oil in the tubes... sounds like an EGR related issue. Have you ever cleaned it?

What Kleetus sez too ;tu

Waz guna say EGR stuff also but i'da been outa my 7.3 box :lmao :lmao :lmao

Jus kid'n

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg