Oil Pressure gauge on 6.0

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Isspro oil pressure gauge, 0-100 psi range, the electric sender is tied into where the factory oil "switch" is also mounted.

Here's my issue. On a regular cold start up the Isspro gauge shows 0 psi for quite a while, maybe 45 mins or so (factory obviously shows okay). Then it will jump up and be pegged at 100 psi all the time, idle or cruising, accelerating, etc. Maybe another half hour or more. Then it will start to drop into the 80's when decelerating, idling, etc. Then after a while it acts kinda like you'd expect it to act, 80 psi at cruising, little lower at idle, etc. Then, if I turn the truck off, and turn the ignition on, it will still be showing 40 psi or in that range, no motor running. Factory guage shows zero.

A few personal theories. My oil pressure is over the max range of the gauge, causing it to stay at 0. Then when oil thins out a little, it can handle the 100 psi range, but it's still pegged. Continued thinner oil and it starts to act normal. But, what about the pressure without the motor running? Does it hold pressure on the system behind a check valve or something? (Does the ECM just ignore this pressure and send the factory gauge a 0 signal?)

I think the oil pressure is regulated to 75 psi, is the factory oil switch mounted before the regulator?

Where do others mount their pressure senders? I did this method to get away from mounting a fitting on top of the oil filter, I know thats where others have their's run from.

I have not talked to Isspro about the guage's range, etc.

I have not put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on in this location, as it is a total PITA to get to and work on, I got some hydraulic fittings and tees in there, need a chopped down 11/16 wrench to work down in there, so if I do something to it, I'm only going to do it one more time, not just for kicks a giggles....

Chevron Delo 400 15W40 is my oil, btw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58