Oil specs, Oil change and HPOP

dpantazis

Reaction score
greetings all-

I am going to change oil in my truck soon for the first time. 2000 7.3 PSD, 88K miles.

I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT BRAND X vs Y, DINO vs SYNTH.
I DO NOT WANT TO START AN OIL WAR!!!

I have a couple of questions regarding the oil specifications.

1. API service class. Owners diesel engine supplement book says CG-4/SH.

The letters in the API oil spec mean what exactly?
C for compression ignition
API spec grade "G"

-4 for 4 cycle?

2. API doughnut on the bottle label: The picture in the supplement shows "API Service CG-4/SH"

What is the /SH for?

I understand over time, they 'improve' the second letter specification, and that using a CH or CI oil is acceptable. Is this correct? What about the "SH" spec. does this change too?

3. HPOP.

Do you need to so anything 'special' to drain the HPOP at oil change? My understanding is that the oil in the HPOP won't drain with the main engine drain. So a little old oil will mix with the old oil. So what?

I plan on using one of the 'name brand' oils that people discuss. I am just confused on the spec required.

Thanks in advance

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
#2 I believe SH is S for Spark ignition and the H would be the spec progression. In other words it is the gasoline engine spec. Make sense?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
#3. There is no way to drain the HPOP of the oil that is in there. It will get mixed with the new and get dilluted.

Dave :)

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
#3. There is no way to drain the HPOP of the oil that is in there. It will get mixed with the new and get dilluted.

You can pull one of the sensors or plugs(don't remember which it is) at the top of the HPOP and use a suction gun to get alot of it out. PITA for me. I just leave it and use Rotella. Haven't ever researched the specs, I just know what the service manual says and Rotella covers it.

Happy servicing!

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Item of note here. I was told at a Ford parts counter last month in Alberta that they are now using 10w 30 oil for the 7.3. Anyone else heard this?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.:)

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HTRDDSL said:
Item of note here. I was told at a Ford parts counter last month in Alberta that they are now using 10w 30 oil for the 7.3. Anyone else heard this?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.:)

I can't remember the exact air temperature, but there is a temp below which you're supposed to use 10W-30 oil instead of 15W-40. My manual is out in the glovebox right now or I would look it up for you.

dpantazis

Reaction score
10W-30

Yeah, the manual says 10W-30/15W-30 should switch to 5W-30 below 30F and 0-W30 below 0F.

I am trying to understand what the manual says:

"For normal or severe service, use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil
conforming to Ford Specification WSS-M2C171C or API Service
categories CG-4/SH. Do not use oil labeled with only one of the following
category designations; SG, SH, CE, CF-4, or CG-4, as they could cause
engine damage."

Why an oil with dual catagory rating of oil, CG-4 AND SH?

Anyhow, the truck I feel, runs like crap. Dealer did oil change using "10W30 & anti-foam additive" before I bought the truck. Hoping an oil change will inprove on its character.

dennis

NVCowboy

NVCowboy
Reaction score
I do not remember the oil viscosity that a Ford Engineer told my dad to use in PSD's when the temps are below 70F. Better starting, fuel economy, and good engine protection. Easier to be certain the temps are going to stay below '70 for a few months when you live north of me. WInters around here can be kind of screwy and a 70 degree day is possible at almost any time.

:cowboy:

foster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you change your own oil use 5w 40 syn. in the winter, Yes I know it cost 12-14 a gallon as aposed to 7 but if you need the 40 protection in the summer you need it in the winter spring fall. Cheape insurance. Run 15w 40 the rest of the year. And don't let a dealer tell you that you need 10w 30 for it to start wit out being pulged in. cylce the glow pulgs twice and it should start at -40. If not your starter is bad. 7.3 are known for shelling starters. Walmart is the cheapest place to get it, but good luck they don't stock very much of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58