Oil??

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I only have 4800 miles on the truck, but recently i towed 3420lbs for 1100 miles straight from south texas to florida. Is it normal for the oil to be jet black already? Other than that tow, its my everyday driver.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be black after only a few miles. Go ahead and change it and the filter at 5000 miles.
I would say unless your trailer had a big front on it, your truck never knew that load was back
there. Enjoy your new truck and come back often.
Doug

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. The only reason i ask is because with my 6.0l, The oild was golden for at least 8000 miles. But then again I put 2 qts of Lucas in there.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never used Lucas, but here some guy swear by it. In my 6.0 the oil stays real clean for the first 4500 miles.
Go ahead and change it and keep an eye on it. How much oil does the new 6.7 hold? I was told it was less.
Doug

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
I think its only 11, I have to double check.

I think on my new 6.7 PSD the oil change is monitored and change times/miles are displayed when needed. Mine only has 2,000+ so not ready to change. Best read your Ford Manual on Oil Changes. I don't think there's any recommendation for ANY OIL Suppliments-in Fact Ford says NO! I would stick to Motorcraft Diesel Oil,but as WD 40 mentioned =Change it earlier when pulling. My 2001 7.3 PSD pulled our 12K fifthwheel from Indiana to the Fla Keys 14 round trips without using a drop ,and never got black with 3,500-4,000 mile changes with Motorcraft Diesel which is designed for your new FORD 6.7--Got to trust the engineers recommendations! Good luck! PS:What rear gear are you pulling with?

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Yes--Mine is a 3.31 too. I hauled 13 squares of shinngles twice this week for about 50 miles,and the TOW/HAUL mode on the new 6-speed Tranny worked great. I guess the Electronic 3.31 rear gear can be locked in limited slip mode for low speed pulling by the control on the dash board--Have you ever used it yet? Good Luck with the new SuperDuty!

scottyb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What's the opinion on synthetic oils? I have always ran Rotella and now Rotella T in all my diesels with no issues. Now I am considering Rotella T6 in my wife's new F250. I can have it done at my local shop with plain Rotella T for $56, total but I will have to bring my own oil to use T6, because the do not stock it. I can get it from Amazon for $78 for 3 gal, free delivery. Do you think it is worth the difference in $$.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get T6 at Wally World for about $66 for 3 gallons or $22 per gallon. If you watch for sales like at Tractor Supply you can catch it for $19.99 per gallon. Get WW to ad match it if you do not have a Tractor Supply close. I run T6 for 7500 and Regular Oil for 5000 so the price difference doesnt make a difference as the extra miles makes the cost the same per mile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58