Old School Bug Shield

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You remember back 100 years ago when the bug shield was first introduced they were just a flat piece of Plexiglas that stood straight up. Where could a guy find one of these for a OBS truck? All I can find is the new aerodynamic models. I want to get the wind up over the new camper a little and thought I might try one of these.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
home depot or lowes.....four or five nice sturdy brackets and viola....you be a redneck :D
i knw they carry lexan in 1/4 " sheets :sweet
you could sand it lightly for a smoked look or back paint it RED....

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have never had very good luck drilling Plexiglas. It always breaks where the hole is? Cutting it is a art too but I have managed it a time or two.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
drilling.....SLOW sharp bit with a wide angle so as nt to cut to deep at once....dont force it. let it pick its pace
then over size a bit to allow the fasteners to float somewhat so they dont stress the edges. Use a fiber or rubber washer to allow some movement under the fastener. A router will work good for cutting shapes if you make a template for it to follow

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanna make your own try your local glass shop for some Lexan it is way better than plexi-glass. My old man has a 4x8 sheet for a moon-roof on his 1947 fargo and it has hole drilled every 4" or so, it's been on there for about 6 years. Or there is another brand of lexan type material, can't think of the name off hand right now but it is twice the strength of lexan. It is also twice the cost of lexan. They should sell you however much you need.:cool:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would rather just buy a made to fit shield but the home made is a option if I can't find one.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
will it really make that big O difference? i cant see it helping out with aerodynamics over that big ole camper on the back. JMHO.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old LUND bug guard that came with my truck, i didn't like it so i removed it its not as curvy as the new ones. but i dont think it would be worth it to ship it to alaska from cleveland.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had very good luck drilling Plexiglas. It always breaks where the hole is? Cutting it is a art too but I have managed it a time or two.

You need to run the drill bit in reverse.... & cut with a roto zip....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14