On Board Air system and AIRHORNS!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally took some pics of my "work in progress" now that its almost done.

http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/air/index.htm

That takes you to my webpage and has pics of my onboard air system, new dash switches, and digital pressure gauge.

Keep in mind the MESS you see is because Im not done. I still need to install the air valves for the firestone ride-rides, and wire them to the switches and the digital gauge, but you get the idea what its going to look like.

The air compressor and air horns have manual cut-offs on the left side of the steering wheel. (the two little micro toggles). The air horns are triggered by the factory horn button. The cutout switch allows me to use JUST the regular horn.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant stand air blowing on me when Im driving. Im always point that one, and the left most one "away" from me. I wear contacts and the air dries my contacts out FAST. So far as Im concerned, NO LOSS! :D :D :D

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Are those green lights just LED's??? How did you switch them??? Oh B.T.W. that's freekin awesome looking...I'm wondering b/c I would like to change mine to white...Thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
Are those green lights just LED's??? How did you switch them??? Oh B.T.W. that's freekin awesome looking...I'm wondering b/c I would like to change mine to white...Thanks

You mean on the contura-II switches? Yes, they come factory with green LEDs and I swapped them out for some BLUE ones I had from my door switch conversion.

You need 3mm LED's, and with white, dont worry about getting the highest rating MCD. You only need a couple thousand millicandella.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty easy actaully. Just have to open the switches up. By default, they dont come with the rocker switch, you just have the base. Use really small screwdrivers to pry the tabs open a little and the top should pull away from the rest of the base.

Inside is some VERY small springs, and the resistors that are needed to keep from blowing the LEDs when you apply 12v of power. DONT LOSE THESE! Also, dont lose the rocker arm, or the internal switch contacts. They go in a certain way.

Gently pry the OLD led OUT, and press the NEW LED in its place, and bend the leads around in the same shape as the ones you just pull out. You shouldnt need a soldering gun, its all pressure that hold it in place (remember those little springs?).

Pay attention to polarity, as LEDs only work in one direction.

You can get the 3mm LEDs on ebay. Look for auctions by the user "ubiditnow". He is in HongKong and I have had great results using his auctions. They are air mailed direct from hongkong and take about a week to arrive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14