opinions: F250 vs. F350

iamrazor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure it's been talked about a million times, but forgive me I'm new here. If there's related threads, please pass them along.

Here's the story:
I'm looking for a 99-02 PSD (heard bad things about the 6.0L) for towing a camper and trailer with a car on it to the track. The camper will someday be a 28-33 ft. 5th wheel. Right now its a 23 foot Hybrid. I've got 2 kids so wife and I really like the crew cab short bed.

So for these years, what's the real differences between the 250 + 350? Is it just heavier springs? If so, can't those be bought somewhere (not at a stealership).

Seems like there's a large price difference in the 250 / 350 (in my area). Is it worth saving a few $ on a 250 and get the 350 springs at a later date?

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Well if you want to tow a 5er than you most likely want a 8 foot bed to give you some clearance behind the cab. Second the 6.0 was bad in the 03-04 years. Third the difference between the F250 and the F350 is the payload. I am not sure now, but in the early 90's you could et a bigger rear end in the F350 the dana 60 front and the dana 80 rear. Like I said I am not sure if the differentials are the same between the 250 and the 350 now.

HoustonPSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only difference is the rear blocks. They have the same Sterling rear-end, could have the same springs depending on specs (ie camper package). I would say get what suits your tastes and your budgets. If both have the legal capacity to tow your 5er you are good either way. If being legal is a concern to you (not saying it shouldn't be) you may want to go with the truck that has the correct tag on the door for what you are towing.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
fordtrucker4life! said:
Well if you want to tow a 5er than you most likely want a 8 foot bed to give you some clearance behind the cab.

This is true, however a short bed can tow a 5er just as well if the proper hitch is used. A fifth wheel hitch known as a glider or slider will allow a 5er RV to be towed with the pin in the correct position above the axle. But for tight manuevering, the hitch can "slide" to the rear allowing for more clearance between the front corner of the RV and the rear corners of your truck's cab. We sell them all the time at work. There are many varieties from fully manual sliders, to power sliders that will move at the touch of a switch, to a Super Glide that will move to the rear automatically every time you make a tight corner.

A short bed truck has another advantage compared to a long bed truck when it comes to trying to get the RV into that tight campsite between the trees. Short bed trucks with the shorter wheelbase will turn more sharply than a long bed/ long wheel base truck.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
you may also want to consider a dually for the extra stability that you get from a wider rear axle and 4 tires.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in SOME years i believe the rear axels were different between 250/350.
and for what its worth ive got an 04, and have towed plenty (cars etc)
and havent had a single problem <in nearly 50k miles, ive NEVER been
stranded, or broke down>

most of the problems were 1st model year & most built after sep 03
should be fine & fairly "problem free"...

im not defending ford by any means but i bought a 1st model year
bmw motorcycle (1999) and i can tell you it was LOADED w/ problems...
i had electrical/fi issues none of which should have been NEW to
bmw...it was NOT a dramaticly different change from what theyve
done for years previously...

iamrazor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all great info!

Yes, I've heard that if I get a shortbed I'd need that slider hitch. That's not a problem for me. The 5er is a year or two away anyways, just trying to plan for the weight.

Is there a thread with specs per year on here? Autotrader only lists specs for the gas engines. Ultimately, I'd like the 350, but I'm just wondering am I getting the same truck in a 250 for a less $?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally, and ive ranted about this b4...
the truck (at least in crewcab form) is a city
block long (even in short bed config)...whats
TWO more feet.

ive always thought the 350 & long beds had
greater resale potential (work trucks etc).

and i believe the 350 long bed rides better (less harsh),
when empty, because of its longer length.

ive heard many short bed owners WISH they had the long
bed (myself included, in two previous trucks)...ive never heard
a short bed owner say they bought too much truck/bed.

dmd

Reaction score
My sortbed/CC fits in my garage.

If you have kids, or plan to, then you need a Crew Cab. Garaging the truck
really saves a lot of wear

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other things to think about.

If you want to garage your truck, then check to see the length and height of both the 250 and the 350. Our truck is a F350 (Camper package, 4x4) that puts it to tall to fit into our garage. Also if you want to pull a 5er you might want to not purchase the truck with the camper package, because it is taller yet, and makes it more difficult to find a 5er that will fit level with the truck. My opinion is the long bed F350 is the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim